VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bob_M, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I would like to convert some of my old VHS to DVD. What hardware/software would I need to purchase to accomplish. Assume I want to do it on my Computer and not purchase a standalong DVD recorder.

Thanks

Bob

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Conexant based capture card (CX2388x chip)...like MSI TVAnywhere Master or Asus

OR

Phillips based FlyVideo 2000/3000

OR

Hauppagge PVR 250/350

OR

ATI based 12-bit capture card all-in-wonder

+

4X/8x DVD burner (mulitformat is your safest bet...LG, NEC, Sony, Plextor (can't go wrong with any of them)

+
    (optional depending on method of capture...TMPEGEnc Plus)
    +

Ulead DVD MovieFactory should get it all done.
    (though there are many software choices).

This is assuming you are saving your VHS stuff in MPEG2 and not VCD format.

You haven't mentioned your current pc hardware:

You might need:

Barton series CPU (2500XP and up) OR P4 with MultiThreading (might offer an advantage with conversion)...

Big Hard Drive because media files are huge...so 80GB or more is recommended.

Usually best to have a dedicated drive for media because deleting those big files required defragging and often.

Hope that helps

3. Edison Tinker

Take a look at something like THIS for easy video capturing and editing...it should suit your needs fairly well if you're dealing with analog video tapes...it's also got a firewire port for capturing digital video should you ever upgrade to MiniDV...

The software interface is also pretty intuitive to use...I have an older version (Studio 8) of the same product and I'm pretty happy with it...it's not for those who want ultra-versitile, uber-professional level video editing software, but for those of us who like ease of use AND a good bit of versatility, it's great!

Of course you'll also need a DVD burner and something like NERO to actually burn the DVD's...

4. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Thank you both. I am on my way. Bob

5. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>Barton series CPU (2500XP and up) OR P4 with MultiThreading (might offer an advantage with conversion)...<
    Can I get away with 800 P3, 512 RAM, 80GB drive? Don't want to spend for the DVD and capture card if not.

Thanks bob

6. Edison Tinker

With that processor and RAM you may be pushing the machine to it's limits, but it is possible to get by...just don't try multitasking or anything...

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

I think it could work but it will be an all night thing for encoding to MPEG2. You may want to ask the specific question of a p800 encoding to DVD.

Try http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ if you don't get much response here.

I've done MPEG1 conversions with a Duron800 (with good success but never tried MPEG2...I'd be leery of dropped frames at higher bitrates (with a software conversion anyway) MPEG2 would require you to start it before bed and check it in the morning. [​IMG]

Just a guess though.

You may want to consider the Hauppage PVR-250 then because it is hardware assisted.

Or this wintv-pvr-usb2

It's external and well shielded from noise. Some people have raised that as a concern (high RF and EMI) although I have the TV-Anywhere and it does nice captures with a clean signal, that hasn't been a concern for me...maybe it's a tuner thing???.

Another thing to consider is to get or borrow a S-VHS deck for the s-vid out. That will offer better control/separation of Y and C bypassing the internal filters of the cards.

8. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,

What about useing a Sony Camcorder for the capture. My understanding is that have analog to Digital bypass. That way I would not even need the capture card?

Bob

9. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Go with an inexpensive stand alone, you won't regret it...

I tried the PC rout and it was aweful. Took forever to mess with and the results were fair at best, not to mention hogging all your PC resources while you do it.

I love my Philips DVDR75 and all my VHS to DVD looks great

10. Edison Tinker

...but then you spend much more money and don't have the ability to edit, create menus, import your own soundtracks or anything else that might turn a simple home movie into a quality DVD...the standalone recorders are great and serve a purpose but they trade convenience for versatilty, not to mention they're still fairly expensive.

11. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    True to some extent I guess...but since I have a dual format PC DVD burner, I have the option to edit, create menus, etc on the discs made from the standalone...but with standalone, I get the added bonus of being able to record my Directivo, OTA, and have a nice DVD player for my HT all in one package.

[​IMG]

12. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

You're probably right...I've read good things about going that route but I have been unable to ty that myself. I haven't had my 8mm for very long and cost to go digital8 prevented me from trading up so soon...which prompted me to get the inexpensive MSI card + new Barton gave me more bang for the buck. It has worked very well for me pumping 8mm into that and then creating the mpeg2's.

The only thing I wonder about, is, that you are essentially using the DV cam as a poor man's capture card (assuming you have one or access to one). You still might have an issue with the P800 not being able to keep up and drop more frames than you can live with. Then you would have to lower the quality and that's a lousy trade-off if it's some precious memory (or show) on VHS that you're converting over to DVD.

Maybe you could find a place (like a local supplier), explain the situation and see if you could try before you buy...BestBuy's pretty good for that...

or rent the necessary equipment before you commit to anything.

Heck Bob, I'd lend you my stuff if you were close but I got a feeling we're not even in the same country [​IMG]

cheers!

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The bitrate for DV is pretty low, and it's already encoded, so pretty much all the computer has to do is copy data from the port directly onto the drive. Unless you have a genuine hardware problem, or a reeeeally old/slow drive, that shouldn't be a problem.

14. JasonDNJ

JasonDNJ Extra

I have a Sony TRV-320 digital camera with a firewire port. I simply plug the VCR to the Camera and then the firewire from the camera to the firewiew capture card on my PC. I capture the footage using Vegas Video 4.0 which is also used for editing. I started using DVD-LAB for the DVD menus but I used to use DVD Architect which came with Vegas Video. Works fine and it's a great way to preserve my 20 year old VHS tapes.

15. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

That for the tips.

Ken,

Do all digital camcorders have the passthrough? What is this feature actially called so I cna look for it?

Jason,

did you TRV_320 come with any software, like Vegas Video?

Gordon,

Different country, but that for the offer!

Bob