What's new

VHS to DVD transfer service? (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Has anyone used a service that will take a VHS tape and copy it to DVD?

I have a Star Wars, widescreen VHS tape collection. It has the Episodes 4-6 and a fourth tape that contains a documentary. These are the original cuts of the films. I would like to get them backed-up to DVD before the tapes become unusable.

Does anyone know of a company that does this? I have seen some for "home" videos but not for commercial tapes.

Thanks,

Keith

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
You won't be finding any commercial service that will transfer copyrighted material if they want to stay in business. Now as far as home video is concerned, sure they'll do it.

You're better off going to Sears and getting the Panasonic DVD recorder for $1k. It may seem like overkill, but owning your own recorder is the only way you'll ever get it to DVD-R.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Why bother paying money to get VHS quality transfer on a DVD? If the tape is worn I would rather just replace it and hold out for the DVD to be released.

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
I think he want's to preserve the non SE versions and who can blame him.

I'm very excited as I have a Philips DVDR1000 (DVD recorder) and tomorrow on SKY Premier Widescreen (UK Digital Satellite channel) they are showing the original trilogy (unfortunatley the SE versions) now this channel outputs fabulous anamorphic pictures and the results should look between 80-90% as good as the eventual pre-recorded versions when their released (certainly a significantly better than Laserdisc)

Anyway I currently have every part of my body crossed that they show them 2:35 as very occasionaly they crop some films to 1:85

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Yes, it is because they are the non SE versions. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I will probably just end of waiting another year or so until I get a DVD-R drive on either my computer or in a stand alone box (like the Panasonic).

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks