VHS to DVD transfer service?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Plucker, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Has anyone used a service that will take a VHS tape and copy it to DVD?

I have a Star Wars, widescreen VHS tape collection. It has the Episodes 4-6 and a fourth tape that contains a documentary. These are the original cuts of the films. I would like to get them backed-up to DVD before the tapes become unusable.

Does anyone know of a company that does this? I have seen some for "home" videos but not for commercial tapes.

Thanks,

Keith

2. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

You won't be finding any commercial service that will transfer copyrighted material if they want to stay in business. Now as far as home video is concerned, sure they'll do it.

You're better off going to Sears and getting the Panasonic DVD recorder for $1k. It may seem like overkill, but owning your own recorder is the only way you'll ever get it to DVD-R.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Why bother paying money to get VHS quality transfer on a DVD? If the tape is worn I would rather just replace it and hold out for the DVD to be released.

4. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

I think he want's to preserve the non SE versions and who can blame him.

I'm very excited as I have a Philips DVDR1000 (DVD recorder) and tomorrow on SKY Premier Widescreen (UK Digital Satellite channel) they are showing the original trilogy (unfortunatley the SE versions) now this channel outputs fabulous anamorphic pictures and the results should look between 80-90% as good as the eventual pre-recorded versions when their released (certainly a significantly better than Laserdisc)

Anyway I currently have every part of my body crossed that they show them 2:35 as very occasionaly they crop some films to 1:85

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Yes, it is because they are the non SE versions. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I will probably just end of waiting another year or so until I get a DVD-R drive on either my computer or in a stand alone box (like the Panasonic).

-Keith