What's new

VHS to DVD copying (1 Viewer)

bassman1

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Troy
Hello, I am looking for a free standing unit that I can convert my old VHS tapes to a DVD format to share with family. I would also like to just use the unit as a DVD player. Any suggestions? Thanks

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What you need is a DVD-Recorder. I have a Philips brand recorder that is a few years old, so I don't know if the model is still available (3355). I've seen models offered by most manufacturers. They should be available in the $50 to $100 range. I've been very satisfied with mine. They work fine as a DVD player as well. If you are planning on transferring your own VHS tapes, it works fine - hook up the VCR to the Recorder - coax, composite (yellow/red/white), or s-vhs (black/red/white). Push play on the tape, push record on the recorder. It records in real-time, so a two-hour movie takes two hours to record. Most of the recorders have built-in circuitry to try to eliminate the copy-degradation (the copy of a copy of a copy syndrome). If you want to copy a commercially bought tape, it won't work straight out of the box. If you do some searching, there are 'black-boxes' you can find that allow that (mine cost about $20). The recorder can also record from other sources - camcorder, cable-box, laserdisc. As for quality, most recorders allow for 1-hour, 2-hour, 4-hour, and 6-hour recordings. As with tape, the shorter the time, the better the quality. David

koteroreo

Auditioning
Real Name
koteroreo reo
Excellent post. It is one of the best post from other. It is a useful and charming post. I want to sharing this topic with some of my close friends. So thanks this post. Water Damage Cleanup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks