What's new

VHS the same everywhere? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
A thousand pardons if this is posted in the wrong place - it didn't seem to the fit in the Regions DVD forum, as it's not about DVD!

A friend of mine taped the Survivor Finale for me and sent it to me. Trouble is, the friend is from Australia! Will the tape play on my American VCR? I know DVDs differ from region to region, but am completely clueless as to the compatibility or lack thereof in VHS technology from continent to contintent.

Thanks to any and all who can clear up my ignorance!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Australia uses PAL, the U.S. uses NTSC. Unless you have a multi-format VCR (unlikely, they are rare and expensive), you can't play the PAL tape on a U.S. VCR and TV.

-Scott

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
You'll likely be able to hear the audio well enough, even if the video isn't viewable.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The conversion would likely cost $15 - $20 or more... and that's assuming you can find someone to do this on a copyrighted program. I'm sure they're out there, but...

-Scott

Sathyan

Second Unit
if you have a TV card on your computer, you often can switch the video format on the input from NTSC to PAL to match the source and watch it that way. once its an AVI, PAL/NTSC doesn't matter.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Mike, if all else fails, I taped it and will probably never watch it again if you want it. That's the thing about these kinda shows, once you've watched it, what's the point in wanting to see it again, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks