What's new

VHS Storage (1 Viewer)

AndyF

Agent
I *know* it's a bad idea to store VHS tapes close to a sub, but how close can you safely store VHS tapes next to an unshielded 15" (Tempest) subwoofer?

If the magnetic field can affect a TV, I'm guessing that the same magnetic field can affect a VHS tape.

I don't have a lot of flexibility in relocating them to another part of the room; so, I'm hoping for some distance recommendation like 2ft, 3ft, etc. (Translation, my wife has the other three walls occupied with stuff so I can't move them.)

Replacing them all with DVDs is a bit much...

Know of any web sites that may address this?

Thanks,
Andy

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Andy. Welcome to HTF!

It largely depends on how strong the magnetic field is around the sub in a static (no sound) situation, and how strong it is playing sound.

My advice: get a inexpensive compass. Put it on the shelf nearest the woofer. Does the needle move because of the sub? Now play some bass-heavy track/scene. Does the needle move in response to this?

If the balanced compass needle is affected - move the tapes away. If not, you are likely safe.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks