What's new

VHS Splicing Kits: Where to Buy (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Popped a cassette into the VCP I have in my van to see if it still works. Well...tape got stuck and ripped. So, I need to fix it as best I can, then dub it over.

I used to have a kit here, but can't find it anywhere. And the ones I found on Google are really more than I care to spend. So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I learned to do VHS splicing without the use of a splicer. If both ends of your tape are not protruding from the case, you will of course have to remove the four or five screws, lift the cassette lid, and separate the two halves. Be careful not to lose the silver capstan pins, and study how the tape is supposed to be threaded around them and the other components before you remove either of the reels. You shouldn't have to, unless you need to attach the tape back onto to one of them because it broke free. Lose any length of tape that is really damaged - parts that half deep creases, or are crumpled - because these can cause you further trouble later on. Once those sections are gone, overlap the two ends of the tape you wish to salvage so they are in perfect alignment along the edges. Carefully make a quick cut with sharp scissors DIAGONALLY across the overlapped parts. Use Scotch 1/2-inch Magic tape to make the splice. Be careful - once the tape sticks to it, you can't pull it off and have to cut both ends again. I suggest using a 2-inch length of tape, and attaching it TO THE SHINY SIDE of one end first, leaving half of the Scotch tape exposed. (If you use the tape on the dull side, it could ruin your tape heads - that's the oxide whereupon the information is recorded). If you align the Scotch tape correctly, it should exactly fit the VHS tape width, which is also 1/2". Now, line up the end you wish to connect this to on a well-lit table top, and gingerly lower the Scotch-taped end down until you can match the two ends exactly - make sure the VHS will run in a perfectly straight line once it is spliced - if the alignment is off and the two pieces are off-kilter (dog-legged)), it will screw up your player. A tiny bit of overlap of the two tape ends is ok, but a gap between them, leaving any Scotch tape uncovered, is a no-no. Rotate your reels until the tape is taught and put the two halves of the shell together, again holding the lid up. Replace the screws. If there is a need to wind the reels, poke a smallish Phillips head screwdriver into the center hole nearest the lid on the back of the shell - this will release the lock on the wheels. You can do this even when the shell is closed tight. Your tape will now play again, but you can expect some breakup of the image where the splice occurs. This distortion can be in the form of a long diagonal "wipe" from just before the splice to just after it, or it can look like a mess of static and breakup. It will clear up, but you might not want to consider splicing unless the tape you wish to repair is absolutely vital to you. Anyway, you can do a splice about as well this way as with anything Radio Shack might sell you. And good luck.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What Dick said, Scooter.

The process of splicing is easy and similar to what one would do with 1/4" audio tape (or even audio cassette repairs).

Cutting on the diagonal is important to provide a longer surface area to adhere together. Placing the tape on the correct side of the videotape is even more important to keep the adhesive tape away from the heads.

Also, if you don't get the scotch tape perfectly laid down on the video tape and some stick out either above or below the videotape...make sure you trim it.

It's nothing to be scared of.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The manual for my open-reel Sony half-inch machine says to cut the tape straight across with a razor blade, because video tracks are recorded on the slant with control pulses at one edge. Cutting on a slant will increase the duration of the glitch, and risks confusing the mechanism, whereas the straight cut looks like a clumsy punch-in. Otherwise, the procedure described is about what it calls for. I have done this successfully, although it is tricky.

Of course, the answer to the question may well be "no". It ate your tape, after all!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"Sherman, set the "way back" machine for 1978!"

"Yes, Mr. Peabody!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You learn something new every day! I never heard that before. Thanks, ChristopherDAC! Come to think of it...I have a 1/2" Beta tape in need of repair. I think I'll try the straight-line cut.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The problem with using scotch tape is, it can come on to the spinning heads. The heads actually impact the tape surface. The kits had tabs that were non gummy producing and would not stick to or harm the heads or drums.

Also, the reason U-Matic 3/4", Beta and VHS are cut on a slant is that the video is recorded that way..on an angle. The open reel machins, 1/2"..C Format...2" are more linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks