What's new

VHS Recording from other HT Components (1 Viewer)

Rich Upshaw

Auditioning
First of all, I'd like to say that the knowledge in this forum is astounding. I'd also like to thank you for your replies in advance.

I'm having trouble recording programs from my DSS IRD.

I have:
Denon AVR 3300
Sony A-55 IRD
JVC S-VHS VCR

S-video is used with all conections. I believe I've connected the VCR to the AVR correctly but I'll describe the connection to eliminate the obvious mistakes:

IRD goes to TV/DBS S-Video IN to AVR
VCR goes from S-Video OUT to AVR-VCR1 IN and AVR-VCR1 OUT goes back to VCR s-video IN.
Monitor OUT on AVR goes to TV S-Video in.

This seems correct but when I try to record while watching programming from DSS it doesn't work.

Does my problem lay on the record source on the Denon?

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Rich- If I'm reading your hookup method correctly, your Denon AVR would always have to be on for you to record any signal coming from your IRD. Since there's likely to be times you'd want to record something when you're not around, it would seemingly be better to go directly from your IRD to your VCR, then use the audio/video out from your VCR to send the audio to the receiver and the video to the television.

Also, given your present hookup, you may need to switch the input on the VCR to record from the s-video line input rather than the antenna input. So you might want to check that as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your Denon receiver, so I can't comment on the "record source".

Good luck!
Steve K.

Rich Upshaw

Auditioning
Just to clarify, I have the line in and s-video selected on the VCR itself.

I'm not too concerned about recording without my receiver. I can additionally add another connection from my IRD to my VCR if I have the need for recording when I'm not at home or my receiver isn't on.

My main concern is that my Denon is not malfunctioning and I can actually record through it.

Thanks for your reply.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Rich,
First, welcome to the Forum!
My main concern is that my Denon is not malfunctioning and I can actually record through it.
You should be able to record with the connection scheme you’ve described. The receiver’s VCR connections are essentially like a tape-monitor loop, in that whatever input source is selected on the receiver, you can watch that source and at the same time its signal is sent to the VCR’s record inputs. Thus you can only record the IRD if you have the TV/DBS input selected on the Denon receiver.
But that’s not the only thing to consider. As Steve noted, the VCR must also be set to record the signal coming into its input jacks (as opposed to its antenna input). With JVC VCRs the line input is accessed with the channel up and down buttons, between the highest and lowest channels. There are two line level selections, one for the rear jacks (“Line 1” or maybe “Line R”) and one for the front jacks (“Line 2,” “Line F”).
Since you are using the S-video connections, there may be an option to select from the VCR’s menu (S-video vs. composite). A couple of my JVC S-VHS VCRs are like this.
To summarize:
  • Select “TV/DBS” on the Denon receiver.
  • Select the rear line input on the VCR.
  • Make sure S-video recording is enabled from the VCR’s menu.
This should get you in the DSS recording business, Rich. If you have anymore problems get back to us.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Like the others have said, my first instinct is the input setting on the VCR is incorrect. You often have multiple AV inputs on a VCR these days (front and rear) and an antenna input as well- so you have to make sure to tell the VCR where to look when you start it recording.

-vince

Rich Upshaw

Auditioning
That did it! It was an option in the VCR menu to record in s-video mode.

Thank you for the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks