VHS/Hi8 to DVD--Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClintG, Aug 22, 2002.

1. ClintG

ClintG Auditioning

I was planning on purchasing a Canopus ADVC-100 for use in transferring all of my home VHS and Hi8 tapes to DVD, but after reading some of the posts here and at www.avsforum.com, I am beginning to rethink my approach. From what I have read, it seems to me that the better and easier way would be to transfer directly from VHS or Hi8 to DVD using a standalone DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-E30 or the Philips DVDR985), transferring from the recorded DVD to hard drive if I want to clean up to video or do any authoring, and then reburn using a computer DVD recorder (I am looking at either the Pioneer A04 or the HP200i). Being new to all of this my question is WILL THIS WORK?
    Thanks for the advice.

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It sounds like a better plan; Analogue video captures don't generally look like the original source unless you have a high capacity high speed SCSI hard drive (15000+ RPM, 100+Gb), simply because in order to get high quality AVI files (640x480, or larger for NTSC) with 16 bit audio, the file storage requirements are huge, and must be fast to write such large packets of data.

Mind you, the cost of such a SCSI drive and interface for your PC will be about as expensive as an external recorder. As you've mentioned, the direct to DVD-Recorder idea is great for immediate high quality images, but I don't think you can import the recorded file off of the DVD-R to your PC, but it would be terrific if you can.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I believe that Panasonic has announced a standalone DVD recorder with a built-in hard drive, for release this fall. Would this product offer a better solution for editing? I ask because I am also interested in transferring homemade 8mm and Hi8mm tapes to DVD.

4. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

The Panasonic models offer DVD-RAM recording. If you have a DVD-RAM computer drive then you can record your home movies on the stanalone machine and take the DVD-RAM to you computer and re-edit. Or so I understand. This eliminates the video capture step (and loss of video information). This is the ultimate combination of drives (Standalone DVD-RAM/DVD-R and computer DVDRAM drive).

I plan on getting the standalone now, and when dvd-ram drives come down I will add that to my arsenal!

I too am eagerly anticipating the Panasonic with the hard drive. I think this will be a nice solution to 'build' your videos first onto the hard drive and then record the final product to the DVD-R. Not to mention being a nice recorder to record TV shows.

Now lets just hope you can easily upgrade the hard drive for more recording room!

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer