What's new

VHS Archaeologists (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have a fantastic collection of VHS and Beta I assembled back in the 90s... rare movies that haven't been released to disk, off air broadcasts, animation that has since been censored, weird public access programs... amazing stuff. I carefully catalogued everything on index cards and always recorded at SP on high quality stock. But I know that I will never have time in my lifetime to go through and digitize the treasures in the collection.

Are there video archaeologists who are looking for batches of tapes to explore? I live in Los Angeles and would gladly give them away to anyone who would appreciate having them and will pick them up. It would really hurt to have to haul them away to the dump in a truck.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Tons of movies. A lot of them never released on DVD, particularly low budget horror and classics. Lots of animation too.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There are well over 5000 tapes here. The boxes cover an entire wall. I don't have the ability to get all the boxes down and transcribe titles off the index cards tucked in with each tape. I'm not selling them. I'm looking for a good home for them. If someone wants them and will pick them up, they can have them for free. Back in the 90s, I searched out and taped just about every classic movie and cartoon I could get my hands on. My interests at the time were classic animation, horror and sci-fi, classic comedy and drama, rare shorts and serials and 50s and 60s turkeys. Tons of stuff. I just don't have enough time in my lifetime to go through and digitize the collection. If someone is interested in VHS and Beta, this is as good of a collection as you'll ever find. I'm sure a lot of it is trash worthy, having been released on DVD. But I know for sure there's stuff that never made it to DVD in here too. It will take a cargo van or pickup truck. I am in the San Fernando Valley.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
As a for instance, I religiously ran tapes on every daily cartoon show. I taped the UPA Dick Tracy show before they edited out the racial stereotypes. I also taped lots of uncut Underdog where he takes the pill. MGM Harman Ising, Popeye off Tom Hatten including guests like Mae Questel. Uncut Disney cartoons aired in the first couple of years of the Disney channel. And that is just animation. I lived near Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee and had access to their legendary "loaner list" of rare movies. I would bring home a stack of tapes and run dubs all night long, waking every two hours to swap in a new blank. Tens of thousands of hours.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
At least 80% of it is logged on index cards with time readings so you can just fast forward to the exact cue spot.

xforestx

Auditioning
Real Name
Forest
Animation and horror, can't go wrong there. Do you still have these? I'm in the SFV too and would be interested if you still have them and still want to get rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks