VH1's "Rock Honors", tributes to Queen, Kiss, Judas Priest & Def Leppard

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Allred, May 23, 2006.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    VH-1 presents the first ever "rock honors" celebrating the music of Queen, KISS, Judas Priest and Def Leppard. I know all the honorees will be performing that night (broadcast May 31) along with performances by the Foo Fighters and All American Rejects, not sure who, if anyone else, will appear.

All the honorees will receive a special ring as well, similar to what professional athletes get when inducted into a hall of fame (why doesn't the rock hall do that???)

I'm definitely looking forward to the show.

2. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

should be a great show. Not a big Judas Priest fan (always thought they were probably too evil to get into), but Queen, Kiss and Leppard are fantastic

3. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I'm a big fan of all the bands being honored so needless to say I'll be watching when the ceremony airs. VH1's really been putting on some good TV during metal month.

4. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I've got the DVR set to record this, as well as the four part History of Metal VH1 is showing. It's a pretty good month for rock and metal on VH1.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

What does that mean? Priest is the best live band I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of them, including KISS).

Very psyched for this show. I wouldn't mind if they stretched Metal Month into Metal Decade!

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, I've always been kinda hesitant to get into Priest considering their name was kinda Satanic and everything I'd heard about them. I am not some hardcore Christian or anything, but the whole thing about them being Satanists is something I felt like I needed to stay away from. I have never checked Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie out for the same reason, I don't want to dabble with that kind of stuff.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I think you should learn more about all the bands you mention. [​IMG] Just because a band has a "satanic" name doesn't mean they worship the devil. If you actually listened to the lyrics of Judas Priest, you rapidly would discover that.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, I was a kid when the whole controversy about "Better By You, Better Than Me" happened, and that combined with the name made me weery of checking JP out.

Marilyn Manson is a self-professed Satanist and remember him on MTV saying just that, that's all that needs to be said about that.

9. Steve_Knutzen

Their name actually comes from the title of a Bob Dylan song, "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest."
    As for the whole backmasking suicide thing, the band said "killing their fans would be counterproductive, and they would prefer to insert the command 'Buy more of our records.'"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backmas...ed_backmasking

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Whatever sells records! [​IMG]

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

okay, enough about Judas Priest, they're only one of the four bands on there. I still am anticipating the Queen, Kiss and Leppard segments

12. Steve_Knutzen

Who will Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons be playing with? Ace and Peter Criss haven't been touring with them for a while right? Of course they might do for the one show. Plus Ace and Peter were interviewed for Heavy: The Story of Metal so that may be an indication that they're on board.

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I've been wondering that myself.

One thing I've noticed is that in recent KISS-related interviews, Stanley and Simmons wear makeup, but Criss and Frehley don't. I suppose they're not allowed to when they're not officially in the band, but it'd be nice to see them all perform together for this.

14. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

What troubles me is that they clearly state that not all of the performances will be shown on TV. Gotta make time for friggin' commercials I guess.

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    OK, so it turned out to be pretty cool, if not mind-blowing. I was wondering if they had the "tribute" bands there just to make the actual honorees look better. [​IMG] The All-American Rejects were just not the appropriate band to play Def Leppard material -- that didn't work at all. And Godsmack was OK doing the Judas Priest medley, but I'd rather have heard Priest do it. They sounded great, even if Rob Halford doesn't have anywhere near the energy level he used to (which is understandable -- the dude is nearly 55 years old!).

But the most disturbing thing was seeing Ace Frehley playing in a KISS "tribute" band, followed by KISS featuring Tommy Thayer! (No knock on Thayer, but still.)

Who was the KISS drummer? I couldn't tell. Was it Eric Singer?

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Cool show, but I'm very disappointed that Criss and Frehley didn't perform with KISS. You'd think they would perform together for at least one night. [​IMG]

17. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I was very surprised by how good Paul Rogers (or is it Rodgers?) was with Queen. His voice is still very good, he's taken good care of himself, and he did the Queen songs very well. I think he is/was a good fit for the band to continue on. I read on melodicrock.com that Paul and Brian have already parted ways. Didn't say why.

I missed the Def Lep part, I'll have to try to catch it later or look around for a dvd of the show at one of the bittorrent sites.

18. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I agree about Queen and Rodgers. He sounded great and tried to bring something new to the songs instead of emulating Freddie Mercury. I was amazed at how well he sang.

19. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Caught a bit of the beginning of the show (a rerun) last night...the Foo Fighters/Queen version of "Tie Your Mother Down" was probably the BEST live version of that song I have ever heard!

20. Steve_Knutzen

The only thing worse was the fact their replacements wore their make-up and costumes. Apparently Simmons and Stanley own the rights to the original four characters.