VGA to YPrPb

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

So whats the best way? I don't want to buy a transcoder because it just seems like $$$ dongle. Why can't I just rig up a straight cheap dongle to go from VGA to YPrPb? I know the timings are different, but isn't that what powerstrip is for? I have a Nvidia card, so the ATI dongle isn't an option. If worst comes to worst, can't I build my own transcoder?

Thanks!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

It isn't an issue of "timings" that are different- the entire nature of the signal is different. It's like looking for a "dongle" to go from RF video to composite, when the RF signal will need more than a different connector to be compatible with composite. The only reason some video cards can do it with an adapter is that the pin outs on the card support passing a YPrPb signal on certain pins (which the dongle is wired for).

RGBHV is a very different signal from YPrPb.

You can build a transcoder- but I'd bet you'd spend twice as much in time and parts as you would just buying one. I did post a link to a schematic here a week or so ago, so let me know how that goes if you choose that route.

-Vince