VGA to HDTV question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jack*Mains, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,
    Just recently, I became the owner of a 51F510 Hitachi HDTV, and this thing is awesome [​IMG] I will post pics of my HT when I'm done cleaning up.

However, I have a quick question about connecting my ATI 9600 AIW card to the TV. The card has 2 VGA outputs instead of VGA + DVI, so basicly I have two options:

1 - Order the VGA to component adapter from ATI and run component cables to my TV (about 30ft)

2 - Get a VGA to DVI converter, connect that to a DVI to HDMI converter, and run that to my TV.

#2 would be somewhat cheaper because I can get the converters fairly cheap, and make my own cable out of CAT5.

Is there any benefit to using either of the options? So far im leaning towards #2.

Thanks for the input.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Video cards aren't that expensive either, and is probably a better solution than converters of questionable quality. Just get yourself a good card with DVI out.

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Then I still have to run the DVI to HDMI cable, theres no point in getting a new video card. I've seen the VGA to DVI adapters at work, and they're perfectly fine.

It's really a question of Component vs HDMI over a long distance.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That doesn't involve a converter though. The HDMI is capable of receiving DVI signals just fine.