What's new

VGA support, GCN or Xbox? (1 Viewer)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Anyone know if either of these machine will support a VGA output like the Dreamcast?....or will it strictly be component 480p or 480i. I don't want to have to purchase an expensive transcoder. If I were to buy one of the new consoles I may wish to hook it up to the VGA moniter I have my Dreamcast on.
Randy

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Nothing announced for either yet. The general feeling seems to be that the Xbox may see a third party VGA box first.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The XBox A/V connector has 24 pins. VGA may already be there if you jumper a couple of pins...Sega used jumpering 2 pins to enable VGA on the Dreamcast (the VGA really came from the console, not the box)...
The 'Cube uses 12 pins in the same physical arrangement as the N64/SNES...4 of those pins used to do interlaced RGB+Sync on the SNES...presumably generate component now if you buy their cable via mail-order. I think there would have to be a hidden menu setting to trigger VGA on the 'Cube if it is there, probably not enough extra pins to jumper on the port itself.
Nintendo does stupid stuff with that port sometimes...elininated S-Video on the SNES2, eliminated RGB on the N64.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on November 12, 2001 at 04:33 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks