What's new

VGA out to Component in on HDTV...what am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I have a VGA to component cable to view my widescreen laptop on my HDTV. I cannot get the refresh rate and resolution to setup correctly in either dual monitor or extended desktop modes. What settings can anybody recommend?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
When you say that you "can't get it to set up properly", what do you mean? What is the problem that you are having? Also, what hardware are you using? A "VGA-to-component cable" sounds very odd to me, since VGA uses RGB signals, and component is Y-Pr-Pb. With my ATi card, I can set up my output for 1920×1080 as a standard setting, and then I suppose I'd need to set it to 60 Hz refresh and interlaced (easier might be 1280×720, 60 Hz, and no interlace).

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I always thought to go VGA to component you needed a "transcoder" which is a small converter box that cost about $150. I've never seen a VGA to component cable.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
They can cost typically $15-30. Better (?) ones will cost up to $100. One of this site's sponsors, Blue Jeans cable, offers them...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...ocomponent.htm

It is most likely an issue with the video card on the laptop. ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 or Radeon 8500 AGP VGA cards with software support only need such a cable or a basic adapter like this for YPrPb:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks