What's new

Vga out from laptop to dell 24 really clear - why? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I'm wondering why my sony laptop which has an old 9600 mobility radeon video card can put out such a crisp image on my 24 dell. In the meantime, the vga out of an 850xt from my pc to the 24 dell is not as clear. Is there something special about the 9600 in the laptop that makes the vga our so clear - almost like DVI.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Have you fine-tuned the settings on your screen to match the 850xt or are you just using the same settings for both devices? If you havent't tinkered with the screen settings yet then that may be an answer why it looks worse.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
First step would be to make sure you're comparing the same resolution (as Rob said). You should always drive an LC monitor in its native resolution.

Then keep in mind that not all VGA outputs are created equal. A lot of them don't have great signal quality, which might explain the quality difference (again, only as long as they are both the same resolution to begin with). A bad analogue signal can look horrible, especially on higher resolutions.

-Christian

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Cables can also have a considerable effect, come to think of it. I've seen weird ghosting and stuff going on with one cable, then seen a crystal clear image on the same equipment but with a different cable.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Yes, same resolution. Fortunately, I have a couple of these dells and was able to determine it was the monitor and not the cable. However one of my vga cables had one pin missing which is very weird because it came like that. I don't know if it's for some really old monitor. What brand of dvi/vga cables do you guys use?

I agree with running a monitor in it native resolution. Call of Duty at 1900x1200 looks very crisp on this thing. Too bad I've got an old computer that only runs AGP cards.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Nothing to worry about with the connector, not all of the pins are used for the signal, some connectors have all the pins, some omit these uneeded pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks