VGA input or component input into HDTV from progressive-scan dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Allen, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Will Allen

Will Allen Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm moving away from my HTPC for awhile and have purchased the Panasonic RP56 as a substitute. Previously I was using the 15-pin VGA input into my 582HD5 from the PC....should I continue to use the VGA input ( and hunt down a component->VGA cable from the dvd ) or just use the component input on the 582 and use a standard cable? Will there be a noticable difference in quality?
    Thanks much!
    Will

2. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Best is RGBHV to RGBHV (or VGA to VGA, though the bigger RGB cables are better.)
    Second best is component to component.
    Any transcoding between component and RGB/VGA is going to cost some picture quality.
    Try to stay with the HTPC. A Radeon LE for $75 comes with ATI Player, and its 1440x960i or better output will blow away any 480p DVD player. It will also blow away DVD players and scaler combos costing tens of thousands of dollars. If you need a well-behaved DVD played for the WAF, then add a progressive DVD player, but keep the HTPC for when you want good quality.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

3. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Will,
    RGBHV/VGA of course is best but component should be okay for a standalone prog player provided it is a good player.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

4. Jon_Mx

Jon_Mx Agent

I don't think all VGA inputs will accept a component input unless it is specifically designed to do so. I know some TV/projectors are designed to share the VGA input with VGA and component, but I don't think all will. I would go component to component.

5. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

AudioAuthority sells a 480p component to RGB converter (in addition to the more popular RGB to component converter.)
    I should have added that although RGB to RGB is considered better than component to component, they are very close.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

6. Jim Burns

Jim Burns Auditioning

Tomato, Tomoto
    The DVD is encoded on the disk component.
    The CRTs in the TV need to see RGB
    Therefore some where along the line the video needs to transcode from component to RGB, but where?
    Where the best trancoder is of course. You will have to test both RGB and Component with the resolution pattern from AVIA (that one is better than the others because it goes up to 6 MHz). Look at it both ways and use the one with more resolution. If they are the same do what makes you happy.
    PS that Pana DVD is one hot little unit.
    ------------------
    Jim Burns
    http://www.dtvconsultants.com/
    [Edited last by Jim Burns on September 22, 2001 at 09:34 AM]