What's new

VGA from HTPC to TV VGA-input (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
If you read my sig, you'll see that I've got a 65908. It's got a VGA input, but the manual insists that I can only get 640x480 through that connection. I've tried reading up on PowerStrip because I'd like to try upscaling my DVDs through a HTPC. My first question is if I have that VGA input on my Mits, can I just use a plain old VGA cable to connect my HTPC to the TV and use PowerStrip to get 1080i signal? Or, will I need to use some VGA->Component converter and connect that to my only 1080i input?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The TV VGA input is analog. The "640" x 480 input can have any number of changes in any positions along each scan line (in effect any number of pixels), not just 640.
Although when fed by a PC, the PC video card may be delivering the video as exactly 640 pixels per scan line, some video cards offer 720, 858, and/or a few other choices with their 480p, or regular VGA, output.
Also those TV sets that upscale their 480p to 1080i break up each scan line into pixels again, and this pixel width is significant as far as the horizontal resolution of the final picture.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
huh?

I understand that VGA is analog--that's why DVI was invented (for a digital connection).

From what I read about PowerStrip, I should be able to output 1080i from my computer to my HDTV. So my question is whether I can use the VGA input on my TV for the 1080i PowerStrip signal, or will I need to get a VGA->YPrPb cable and connect it to my one-and-only 1080i component input?

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Okay, so now I'm trying to get PowerStrip set up on my HTPC. When I go into Display Configuration -> Advanced Timings, the Custom Resolutions button is "greyed out". Is this b/c I haven't paid the $ for a full registration? I would think I'd be able to test this feature before deciding to pay for this program.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Hmm, maybe it just didn't like my old video card. When I changed the old Viper330 out for a Voodoo 5 5500, it allowed me to set custom resolutions. I followed these instructions and could only get 640x480 to work with the Mits' VGA input. Now, the manual states that this input is limited to that resolution, but Mark seems to say that I should be able to get 540p or 1080i through it.
I guess the next logical step would be for me to try a VGA-component converter and try the HTPC signal through my DTV input. Any suggestions?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. You can prove whether the HDTV 1080i scan rate (scanning speed) will work in the VGA input by connecting an HDTV box directly, using at most the kind of cable that will fit. The colors will be off but you will either see the picture or not.

1a. You can also try the PC output to the TV's DTV input with a cable only to choose and test the best custom resolution from the PC before buying the VGA to Y/Pb/Pr converter.

2. Did you say that your computer video card custom resolutions permitted 1080i or 540p? The normal computer resolutions are 480p, 600p, 768i, 768p, 1024i, 1024p, 1200p.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
1. "the kind of cable that will fit"

I use TimeWarner Cable and their HD STB has component out; no VGA.

1a. The DTV input is component. How would I do that without buying the VGA -> RGBHV cable?

2. Like I said in my last post, my older card didn't allow me to select custom resolutions. But, since I put in the 5500, I can now pick custom resolutions per the instructions I linked.

Can anyone here testify that they've gotten 540p or 1080i through their Mits (preferably xx908/809/819) VGA input?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks