What's new

VGA card that truely does digital DVI (1 Viewer)

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
Hello, sorry if this is a repeat question. I have a Toshiba 65HDX82, and I currently have a PC-DTV HD tuner (it's great), and I want to make my TV a VGA ouptut for the computer as well (video games, playing music from hard disk, etc). However, I want to use the DVI-D input that Toshiba has on this TV (I am out of compenent inputs). What I am worried about is that I cannot find any references from video cards, even if they have DVI, that they ouptut DVI-D. Most seem to output an analog signal, which IMO is absouletly pointless!?! Why even bother having DVI if it's not digital? So, I just want to see If I can confirm a couple of things:

Do any of the high end cards ouput digital DVI?
Do any of the card output 1280x720P? (this TV can do it natively)
Do any of the video games support 1280x720P?

Thanks for your help.

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
Well, it looks like the ATI cards can do DVI-D. Now, I am not sure what they do with the various HD modes. I hope they support 720P and 1080i. I might just go pick one up at Fry's and give it a shot.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused.. I thought DVI was always digital and VGA was analog. Where do you see info that DVI is analog?

To output to whatever resolution you want you need Dscaler.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the ATI cards do have what you are looking for, but I wouldn't do it.

I have forgotten the details, but there are 3 different DVI plugs/sockets out there. The card and the TV you have are not a match. Yes, the sockets look the same, but some are missing a few pins for compatibility.

At any any rate, from what I read, Unless it has changed in the last few months) you'll cringe at the results. I'd wait at least a year and then start searching.

I have the ATI 8500DV, and it states (for a photo) "To flat panel display (DVI-ready cards only)"
RPTV's are not flat panel.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of such things, are there any video cards that can output a DVI-HDCP signal for connection to e.g. a Sony Wega?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know the All-in-Wonder 9700pro has component out and it will spit out a pretty high resolution image over the component outputs.

computer games only support progressive output and will go as much higher than what you want, typically 1600x1200. a lot of games allow some method of manually setting the resolution you want as well.

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
I have ordered a DVI-I to DVI-D cable to hopefully avoid any issues with pin compatibility (I already tried a DVI-I cable, obviously didn't work).

If this does not work, I guess I'll use VGA-component video as a backup. I will probably go with the ATI 9500, seems like good price/performance.

rob-socal

Agent
I use the 9500Pro to my 503CMX via the DVI-D. Awesome picture. There is no interlaced option, it's all progressive these days.

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
Well, once again I seem to have a hard time dealing with computer hardware (even though I am in the computing field, go figure). I picked up a Radeon 9100, and sure enough the DVI is DVI-I only. Back to Fry's it goes! I guess I am going to pick up a 9500Pro!

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
Just picked up a Radeon 9500Pro, and sure enough, my luck, it doesn't work either. This may be a problem with Toshiba, or at least that's all I can think of right now. Perhaps toshiba's DVI port is HDCP -only-, and won't accept a plain old digital serial stream like DVI. I guess I'll order the vga->component adapter from ATI and manually switch inputs (I already ran out of them, one of the reasons I wanted DVI).

-Andrew

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Are you using PowerStrip at all? Are you sending the correct resolution and timings to your RPTV?

AndrewTheurer

Auditioning
I don't recall any utility called powerstrip, what is it? Does it come with the ATI software?

I went ahead and ordered the ATI vga->component adapter, but I'd really like to get DVI working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks