What's new

VGA Breakout Cable Extension ??? (1 Viewer)

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am picking up a RCA DTC-100 HD STB tomorrow. I already bought the VGA breakout cable to connect to my Mits. I was so excited about getting the deal on the STB that I didnt realize the cable was only 6 feet long. I need about 8 feet to fit without stretching the cord tight. I bought a VGA extension cable from Best Buy last night. Will this work or will there be massive picture degradation? I suppose I could put the RCA on my TV, and it would reach no problem, but I really want it on my equipment rack.

Anyone tried this?

Matt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Put the STB on your TV and try plugging in the straight cable, then the extension and see for yourself if there is a difference.

If it were MY system, I would have an un-broken cable for Video/HD frequencies. There is just so much more information/signal in these feeds that I would not trust an extension cable. My general rule is: "the higher the frequency, the greater the need for a good cable" and this would extend to being suspicious of a Best Buy VGA computer monitor cable in line with some other manufacturers cable.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Well technically it's a Belkin VGA extension, the same as the VGA breakout cable, even the same line. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this. I plan on doing a A/B comparison. If the difference is that apparent, then I will be getting a longer VGA cable.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks