VF4 kumite defective? and other issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Rohlfs, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing the kumite mode of VF4 on PS2 with a player created Vanessa. I've seen times when award chests showed up but when I left, the file was saved, and I went into edit, no new items were there.

I've also had it happen where new items were announced (walkie talkie and crossbow) and not available.

Have others seen defects like this? Am I doing something wrong?

----------------

Other issues:

I am surprised that the box lists analog support and yet the character are only moved by the left pad (left analog stick not used and right only to change camera angles).

The side stepping mechanism is very unresponsive.

In edit character mode there is a major delay when changing items and colors. A very clunky interface.

I know this is a Virtua Fighter tradition, but not allowing rematches with the Dural (the final character) is a cheap way to make her seem powerful.

It seems that Kumite mode remembers your fighting style, even when bringing in a new character. Shouldn't it start from scratch with each new character?

The interface is also poorly designed with kumite mode, requiring you to got to a different section of the main screen to create a character that can receive rewards (new colors and accessories). Not at all intuitive.

No character story movies, even in still frames.

All things considered how does this game, even with great graphics, get such high scores in reviews?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

Well the reason why it got high scores is the gameplay and the over all funfactor. The amount of moves and the replay value is crazy. I like that fact that it will take a a couple weeks to master 1 charater. As far as the analog support. In the directions the right analog is only used for moving the camera during thw win poses. As far as the glitch I have not encountered it. The rematch feature with Dural does suck. I wish they encluded it. But I play with 2 player. When you play with other people(like must 2 player fighting games) That is where the fun is!!!

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

It is? [​IMG]

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

when you select your character, click select to select your file. then everything you do on kumite mode will be saved in your file.

6. Peter Rohlfs

Felix,
    I am doing that, and that is where I'm finding the bugs.
    Otherwise items wouldn't show up when I do edit character.
    Vanessa seems to be the only one with the items you never get bug, and I am guessing these would be equipped under the "weapon" category. Perhaps they chickened out about giving a character weapons (though I suspect these would only be decorative) but forgot to remove everything from the game.
    I played more yesterday and found another bug. On 6 different occasions with 3 different characters I had ranking matches which I won (most of them 3 rounds to nothing) and the rank didn't go up. I also had the game congratulate me once for going up in rank (though I didn't) after losing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Peter

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hm...I don't think anyone else is seeing the same problems as you Peter. I'm fairly sure I haven't, although I don't keep real close track of stuff I guess. A couple of things...I believe the treasure chest will also show when you get a new costume (like when gaining new ranks), perhaps that is the cause of not seeing new items? Another thing, sometimes ranking matches are for your opponent, so you wouldn't necessarily go up in rank if you won. It'll say at the bottom of the screen who gets the promotion if they win. It sounds like you know what you're doing, so the things I listed probably don't apply, but I thought I'd throw them out there as possibilities anyways.

8. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Some of the ranking matches are actually for your opponent, not you. You might be seeing those.

Brian

9. Peter Rohlfs

Brian,

The opponents going up in rank might be the ranking match issue, if that is the case it is poor game interface design.. they should use different graphics / colors to announce it for the computer players.

John,

From what I can make out, the treasure chests do not show up for new costumes, new costumes are the result of going up a ranking though you can get a treasure chest at the same time (I've seen it happen twice).

I am basing the disappearing items on the new item announcement you get when you edit character and then go in to edit the items/colors. These announcements are consistent with the number of treasure chests shown.

On Vanessa they announced the items walkie talkie and crossbow yet they were not available to equip. She seems to be the only one with a glitch so far. I have been trying the 4 women, none of the guys yet.

Peter

10. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Peter: It does. During the match, it says something like "Advance in Rank with Win" under the player that will advance.

Brian

11. Michael Geiger

For you guys who can't figure out Vanessa's items:

Some of them can only be equipped in 2nd player mode. You have to toggle it. The one with pants on can wear the crossbow and walkie talkie.

12. Peter Rohlfs

Thank you Michael. That's it.
    [​IMG]
    A simple available for player 2 only message from the game makers would have been nice.
    Peter

13. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Sega has some terrible interface designers. NBA2k2's interface is just as unintuitive. Great games, lousy interfaces.