Very wierd TV glitch after power outage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianShort, Feb 23, 2002.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Ok, I have a Panasonic SuperFlat TV... the KV27SF25 (the 27" set). I've had it about 2.5 years, no problems, works great. I was using the service menu for awhile to squish the picture down while watching anamorphic DVDs, but stopped after I got my PS2 because I got tired of going in to switch back and forth all the time.
    Anyway, the other night we had a power outage in the middle of the night. The TV was off at the time, and is plugged into a Monster surge protector, that I also run the cable through. In the morning I went to play some Gran Turismo 3, turned on the TV, and was shocked. The picture was squeezed horizontally, so there were some 1-2 inch bars on the side of the TV, and was stretched vertically too, so the top and bottom of the image went well beyond the edge of the TV. I went into the service menu, re-adjusted those settings (thank god I knew how to get in there). Then I went back out to use my standard picture settings. Usually everything set at 30, with Brightness at 25, was perfect. Not anymore... at my old settings, the picture was really dim... I had to crank the brightness and contrast back up to get to the proper level. I also think some of the other geometry settings got screwed up, because sometimes vertical lines have curve to them (this is just judging from some menu screens in Gran Turismo, haven't looked at a test pattern yet), and I also sometimes see a greenish tint in darker areas of the picture that wasn't there before... though in other scenes, the color looks fine.
    Any idea why the set would do this? Is there a way to reset the TV to its factory default settings? Does anyone know the name of that site that has tweaks for calibrating TV sets (I know it is mostly focused on projection sets but I also remember seeing a section for panasonic there) I used to have a sheet where I wrote down all the settings from every service menu item on the set, but I'm sure I lost that a long time ago... just when it would have been useful [​IMG]
    Brian

2. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

3. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Brian use this link instead of the first one I gave you. This is the same site but it will take you to the home page. As you can see the first link I posted is for the Toshiba tips page. They do have alot of Panny information and you can even search other brands for tips and tricks as well!
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm
    Hope this helps.
    Roy.

4. BrianShort

Thanks, that's the site I was looking for [​IMG]
    Brian

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm not familiar with Pannys really, but with new TVs there is one concept that should be carried over from CPUs.
    When in doubt, hard reboot. [​IMG] Meaning, unplug it for about 1 minute. Don't just turn it off because the micro is still running under those circumstances.
    TVs today have so much microcontroller software running that you really do have a little CPU. And while these electronics tend to be more stable they still sometimes lock up or get into funky memory errors/bad data.
    Unplugging may not solve the problem, but it's a much better attempt than just turning the set off and it may save you the hassle of digging into a more serious solution.

6. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Seth do you mean just kill the power sorce before you turn off the TV? In other words are you saying unplug the TV instead of pushing the off button on the TV or the remote? So in my case, I have my TV power going into a surge protector and I should just switch it off instead of pushing the off button? Dude, with all due respect that sounds strange to me! I have heard all kinds of things to prolong the life of my electronics, I even had electricians tell me to never turn off my TV, computer, stereo, etc. But this is a first!

Roy.

7. BrianShort

Roy: No, he meant unplug it after it's turned off. Even if the set is off, there are still some components being powered.

Anyway, I did try unplugging it for several minutes, and no reset.

8. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Now I got it, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I would have looked pretty silly turning my TV off every night via the surge protector.[​IMG]
    I also had a Tosh just turn off on me, and I also had to reset it by switching the surge protector off and then back on. Seth is 100% correct, the Tosh also still had power even when it was off becuse the red light on the front was still on.
    Roy.

9. BrianShort

I found a listing of all the settings on my TV from that URL, and fixed the problem. I had to turn the green cut way down, so now the green tint is gone, and also had to play with some of the pin cushion settings using the dot test pattern from VE as a guide. Everything looks good now [​IMG]
    Thanks

10. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Excellent Brian, I am glad to hear it worked out for you.[​IMG]
    Roy.