VERY Weird Problem.. Please help..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Aug 17, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

About one week ago, my CD RW Drive, wich had given me no problems before, suddenly stopped functioning properly. It was recognised by the computer, and showed up as drive E:, but it wouldn't recognize any CD's.

One week later, my old DVD Drive is experiencing problems out of the blue, when it's been working perfectly for the last 5 years.

It just stopped working a few minutes ago, freezing my computer. I restarted it, The computer didn't recognize the drive. I restarted it again, the Drive was recognized, but now the blasted thing dosn't want to eject properly, because the red light keeps on blinking. There is currently no disc in it, so I don't see why the red link would be blinking.

Now I'm extremly scared to purchase that new DVD R drive, because I don't know what could make these drives suddenly act up like this..

Any ideas?

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I was going to say the same thing as Buzz - sounds like the IDE channel. It could also be the cable.
    It sounds like you have your hard drive(s) on one channel and your CD/DVD on another. Try putting one hard drive and the DVD on the same IDE channel as the hard drive (since the HD seems to be working) and see if that fixes your problem. BE SURE to set the master/slave settings properly.
    It's basically problem solving - making sure beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's the mobo, the IDE connector, the cable, or a bad drive. Welcome to tech support [​IMG]
    Mike

3. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with the other guys...it sounds like your mobo ide controller died...check the obvious, the cables, connections, etc. It might be good time for you to upgrade...good mobos are relatively inexpensive (under $150)

Tim K.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>
    It's always odd when something happens "out of the blue", but sometimes things just quit working. If the mobo IDE channel is no longer functioning, then the options are to replace the motherboard, or disable onboard IDE in favor of a plug-in card.
    >
    Slowly trying to get through new email in replying to this thread [​IMG]..
    The Motherboard is brand new, barley three months old, so there shouldn't be ap roblem with it. However, the Drive itself is close to 6 years old. Got it as soon as DVD hit the market [​IMG].
    That might explain the DVD Drive, but it dosn't explain the CDRW drive. I put it in my sisters computer to test it, same problem [​IMG]..

5. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Ah. Well, every now and then something coincidental does happen. Could just be that the drives died at the same time.

Mike

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If both drives are on the same IDE channel, a failure in one drive could cause the other to not work properly either. Try disconnecting one drive and see if the other works correctly, with the jumper set to master. Then switch the drives and try again. If one works and the other doesn't, then you have a bad drive. If neither works, it's probably the cable or IDE controller.

KJP