What's new

Very Tentative - possible Blu-ray Disc release of Giant (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Many apologies if there's word of this already, and please accept the caveats offered.The BBFC Recent Decisions page has just posted two notices for supplementary materials for Giant.These are for two parts of an audio commentary marked:1 - GIANT [Additional material,Audio commentary by Stephen Farber,Ivan Moffat and George Stevens Jr.] (104 mins)2 -GIANT [Additional Material,Audio commentary by Stephen Farber,Ivan Moffat and George Stevens Jnr. - Part 2] (88mins53)The running times, sadly, appear to correspond to those on the UK SD DVD (in other words with PAL speedup, indicating a DVD rather than a 24fps Blu-ray Disc).However, the BBFC has taken to publishing only one decision when a film is (re)released on both DVD and Blu-ray Disc at the same time. As this hasn't had an SD DVD release for over a decade it would be pretty standard to put out a new DVD at the same time as the Blu-ray Disc, particularly if there was new a new commentary.In addition, as is usual for releases, the decision states:"The version of this work detailed above is rated by the BBFC under the Video Recordings Act 1984 for use on any Packaged Media format (including DVD, Blu-ray and VHS)."If the DVD release coincides with that on a second format, I'm personally hoping that's on Blu-ray Disc, as opposed to the VHS option.Here's hoping.Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You might want to read this thread as Giant won't be the only James Dean film coming out on BD this year. Also, George Stevens Jr. worked on preparing Giant for BD release while doing the same for Shane.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Crawford said:
You might want to read this thread as Giant won't be the only James Dean film coming out on BD this year. Also, George Stevens Jr. worked on preparing Giant for BD release while doing the same for Shane.
Many thanks. I did a search and couldn't find it - I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but started to doubt my own memory.
Unfortunately there's no release date listed yet (they occasionally do this at the BBFC), but it's rare that a decision sits around too long before a release.
As examples, extras for Django Unchained have just gone up on the 9th of May, and that's coming out in the UK on the 20th. Cronenberg's The Brood was certified on the 8th of May and that's due on the 8th of July - that two month gap is one of the longer waits.
I'll try to remember to keep an eye on it, and will post an update on anything else that's revealed.
Steve W

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Looking forward to having the James Dean canon of films available in restored form on HD...since this is a key part of Warner's 90th Anniversary celebration, I'm expecting nothing short of greatness from this set of movies!!!

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
classicmovieguy said:
This is the only James Dean film I've ever really enjoyed - will be great to have it on BD.
Really? I think this is easily the least of his films. So much so that if I had to buy them separately, I'd probably skip Giant.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
The James Dean films have been on my want list since the inception of Blu ray. Giant on DVD is not anamorphic so that upgrade will be appreciated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
kingofthejungle said:
Really? I think this is easily the least of his films. So much so that if I had to buy them separately, I'd probably skip Giant.
Why do you act surprise? Film taste varies among the population as many people think Giant is a great film as do many, think the same of Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
BRAD1963 said:
The James Dean films have been on my want list since the inception of Blu ray. Giant on DVD is not anamorphic so that upgrade will be appreciated.
Actually, as I recall, the Canadian DVD was anamorphic. But it looked like crap.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve Tannehill said:
Actually, as I recall, the Canadian DVD was anamorphic. But it looked like crap.
That is correct about it being anamorphic, I'm talking about the 2000 release.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have both the Canadian and the US dvd releases and both look worn and not very sharp with the Canadian disc looking better with
brighter colors. TCM did broadcast the Canadian version a week ago and i did dvr it and compared it to the 2 dvd releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks