1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

very surprised by lack-luster quality of parasound???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i just was wondering what you all thought of my experience. i saw in a good-guys add that they had this parasound preamp & amp sale (i don't remember the model numbers). it was like a thousand dollars off, so i thought i'd check it out.
    when i got to the store and examined the gear i was somewhat surprised. the quality seemed sub-par, especially the buttons. when i pushed them, they had a very cheap feel to them. some of them even got stuck! I just didn't seem impressed with the overall build quality.
    unfortunately, i didn't get a chance to hear the setup (those guys always ignore me).
    any comments?
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on July 27, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I can't vouch for the components you mentioned as you failed to give model numbers but the Parasound components I am using are extremely well built and perform exceptionally well in my system. I have the HCA-2205 amp(220w X 5) and the AVC-2500u pre-amp processor. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this pair to anyone.
    I wonder what was up with the equipment you saw? [​IMG]
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Ted,,You do need to be more specific.
    Find out which gear you where looking at as not all Parasound products are inferior..You don't want to start up a misperception of the company based on one item with no facts to back it up.
    I just purshased a Parasound 5 Channel Mammoth and the build quality is state of the art.
    It is a beast and built like a tank.
    ------------------
    Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new digital pictures!

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree with both of you. i've always considered parasound to be quality stuff. i know when i'm ready to upgrade, i will definitely keep them in the list.
    one thing i was thinking...since it was a display model and it was good-guys, maybe the "clientele" was less than respectful of the display gear. maybe too many fingers didn't treat the display very well.
    oh well...i apologize if this post seemed like a dig at the company. that wasn't my intent nor did i mean to incense any parasound owners. [​IMG]
    i was more just curious as to what others thought. thanks.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

5. John H

John H Second Unit

I use an AVC-2500/HCA2205A/HCA1500A combination in my system. I use a pair of their SCAMPS to trigger other closet housed amplifiers.
    In the past I have used an array of HCA-1000A's. I have also used the HCA-2003.

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
  7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I'm happy with my Parasound amp; both in terms of sound and build quality. Was it the AVC1800 preamp and the HCA885 amp? If the price for both was somwhere around $1400 or so, then that would be my guess. Current MSRP on the 1800 is $900 (used to be $1100?) I think and the MSRP of the 885 is, I think, $600 (used to be $999?).
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

johan - that prices sound about right. i remember thinking it was an awesome deal. it ran in last weeks good guys anniversary sale ad.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

9. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

when i was looking for the hca 1500a, i emailed my sister in san diego asking if she could check the good guys there to see if they had any. she got back to me and said that good guys told her they were no longer carrying that line, so this sale may be them clearing out the last of their product.
    i too would chalk it up to a mishandled floor model, as my 1500 is a rock, and from what i can see through the top, appears to be well built.

10. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Johan: You are correct. That is the combination Good Guys is pushing out the door. It wouldn't surprise me if the floor models were in less than pristine condition, as it seems most Good Guys are in a constant state of disruption on the sales floor (moving display items in and out). Personally, if I had the space, I would jump at this deal.

11. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Ted, not sure the Parasound amp is even part of your disappointment. Your post sort of indicates it's included, but generally amps of any kind have few buttons. So, it might have been more appropriate to just say it was the pre-pro if in fact it was.
    My Parasound amp only has 1 power button on the front. exterior cabinet is metal and gets the job done. back end seems as good as any mid-priced amp. Front button is a basic toggle. Not like my Proceeds, but then not in the same price catagory either. [​IMG]
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ric -
    did you read my second post? it doesn't appear that you did...maybe you hit your post button a little too quickly? [​IMG]
    just kidding...thanks for the reply.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

14. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

15. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Well, I for one see nothing wrong with Ted's post. I even agree with him about the feel of their pre/pros. They do have kind of a cheap feel even if they do sound pretty good.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay...let's go there... [​IMG]
    my first post
    trust me...when it comes time for me to truly select and buy my gear, i evaluate to a level i think any audiophile would consider more than adequte. if i post something, i'm looking for information...that's all.
    my post simply asked what others thought of my experience. like i said in my second post, i was not flaming the company in any way. i'm sorry if you took it like that.
    please note: i consider us all friends here who share a common passion. i would not want to take posts to any other level. please don't take my replies as hostile...sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey here...but absolutely nothing malevolent was meant on my part.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

17. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

quote: Listen to the equipment at least before you write a negative review[/quote]
    aaarrgghhhh!!! my post had NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the sound-quality of the unit!!!
    quote: I don't like it when somebody trashes my stuff either....and some guy goes in and without even listening to it says it's crap[/quote]
    show me where i "trashed" the brand? i simply said i was not impressed with the build-quality of the sample i saw. i also challenge you to find the word "crap" anywhere in my posts!
    quote: I still love my amp/pre-amp combo and find Parasound to be of very high build quality and, as a Parasound owner, can attest to that first hand. I still recommend their components to anyone.[/quote]
    that's all i was asking for...your opinion on the gear. i was, in no way, shape, or form, intentionally trashing the quality or reputation of parasound.
    good grief...there sure are some dedicated parasound owners out there...
    thanks to all...
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on July 30, 2001 at 10:57 AM]

19. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    YOU went there! [​IMG]
    Ted,
    I realize you didn't say anything about sound quality anywhere in your post. I didn't really mean that YOU personally "trashed" Parasound either. And, nowhere did you mention the word crap. Maybe I hit the post button a little too quickly.
    Sometimes, one will get a negative impression of a certain piece of equipment for any number of reasons. When one points out these impressions, owners will react to justify their purchases, as much as to defend the equiment itself. Little is gained for either party in this case.
    So, I certainly didn't mean to offend or attack with my posts, but only convey my satisfaction with Parasound equipment, and to defend my choices/purchases.
    Like you said, Ted, we are all friends here so let's agree or disagree or agree to disagree. Whatever, I value the information I get from fellow members of the HTF and enjoy the interaction and dissenting opinions I get here. If everyone agreed about everything it would get kind of boring around here!
    Thanks,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol! [​IMG]
    thank goodness for people like you rin!
    it's really makes my day one two people can have a sensible arguement. i was originally getting upset with this whole thread, but you turned me around. you are truly a mature individual.
    thanks very much for understanding and seeing both sides of the street. like i said, i never meant to insult any parasound owners.
    thanks again!
    btw - this post has taught me one thing. i'll need to be much more careful in how i phrase things when questioning something that can be perceived in a negative way.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.