What's new

Very subjective question... (1 Viewer)

Kevinfred

Grip
Real Name
Kevin MIller
... itching to buy a new receiver. Are the new HD audio codecs "night and day" better than traditional DTS, DD5.1, etc.? I have a Yamaha RX-V995 and thinking about an upgrade spending < $1200... Thoughts? Thanks much!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wouldn't call it "night and day" but there is a difference. My Samsung 1400 BluRay player allows me to switch between Dolby TrueHd and DD/DTS on the fly and TrueHd does sound better. I used to say it was like comparing DD to DVD-A but I now think the difference is even more than that.

And there are other reasons to up-grade the receiver like room correction eq's, video up-conversion, hdmi, multi room capability, etc. The list goes on. For $1200 you can get almost anything you want. But to be fair, my two receivers are an H/K 520 and a Pioneer Elite 59txi so who am I to push others into spending their money
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Kevin - I also own an RX-V995. :emoji_thumbsup:

To me, the difference is readily apparent in both audio and video quality. I would have to give the edge to audio, however. In my opinion, the HD tracks give a much more expansive soundfield. Night and day? I might have used that comparison before
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
but that's how it seems to me. But with a lot of other things, YMMV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In my case, it's been hit or miss on improvements. Some HD audio tracks have absolutely blown me away -- The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Incredible Hulk come to mind -- but some others didn't seem much better than the old lossy tracks -- Cars was such a title.

The simplified cabling setup with HDMI has been a bonus. I ended up with a rather large pile of unnecessary cables that I removed after upgrading my Pioneer Elite 47TX to a new Elite 94TXH and later replacing my Panasonic RP-91 480p DVD player with an Oppo 980H. For example, the RP-91 had ten cable connections (3 for component video, 6 for 5.1 analog, and 1 for coaxial digital), while the new Oppo has a single HDMI cable. Plus, I was using a switch box for the 5.1 analog with the RP-91 -- I also own a SACD player -- so that was another six cables I removed with the Oppo.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
It really depneds on the movie, I have found movies that there was a huge difference and others where I found no improvement. You also have the option of getting a Blu-Ray player like the Sony S550 that outputs the HD formats via analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks