Very Simple OT Question Re: Compact Discs...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

A gal at the bar I tend asked me a simple question tonight that I was unable to answer, so I promised her I'd turn to those more enlightened than I. She and I agreed that VHS tapes from North America will not play in Australia (not without the use of some conversion technology), and that our DVDs will not play there (I didn't get into region-coding with her; no time), but we were both stumped as to whether she can mail a CD to a relative there and expect it to play properly. So, what of it, fellas? Are CDs "universal" in their playablility? Thanks a lot, and cheers!

DS.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Pretty sure a CD will play anywhere in the world. Thank goodness!! [​IMG]

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

I believe the answer to that is that in American the NTSC video standard (60Hz) is used, whereas in Australia and other Asian countries the PAL standard (50Hz) is used. Thus, VHS tapes and DVD's from R1 will not work, unless you have a player/TV which can convert from one to the other (which most thankfully can). Its also why we don't have the luxury of progressive scan here, unless of course we fork out the big bucks for R1 discs [​IMG]
    CD's on the other hand use the PCM format which all CD players will decode. Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks for your help, guys! I figured as much; just needed a little confirmation. Cheers!

DS.