Very odd phone call at 3:30AM! What is this?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tom_Mack, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

Well last night I was fast asleep and then at 3:30AM I hear the phone ring. I ran to get the phone and all that was on the other end was a repeating beep. It was a single tone (not modem or fax noise). There was a one second beep, then one second pause, then beep and so on with no end. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be????

2. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have gotten those calls as well, and actually I believe they ARE fax calls. Just a bit different from the usual fax "handshake" noise you hear sometimes.

3. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it's a fax. I gotten the same thing as a voicemail every month on my cell phone for the past 2 years. You'd think somebody would figure it out. There's no ID, and Verizon won't help me unless it's a threatening message.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Did you try *69 just for kicks?

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I had the same thing happen to me. Seemed the financing company for a local car dealer had fat-fingered when inputting his fax number in their calling list. I could not even get the phone company to help [​IMG] [​IMG] I was getting calls all hours of the night. Plus I guess they had a re-try set up, so it would ring a second time 5 minutes after the first call.
    I finally started my PC's fax software and waited. I woke up the next morning and printed off the file.
    The manager was quite taken aback when I showed up. 'how did you figure this out ? I've been bitching at these people that I haven't been getting my leasing percentages for weeks !' My response was 'I know, I know' [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

kick-ass Lew

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I get those on my answering machine every now and then, I've only gotten them during the day so I figured it was a crossed line or the phone company was testing the lines...

Lew, LOL That story reminds me of a story from my childhood. There are 2 exchanges in my town that were similar (just as an example 552 and 556), there was a business that had the same last 4 digits as us...we had the one exchange and they ahd the other. CONSTANTLY, we'd get calls from people looking for the business.

We got SO many at night that my father just started taking orders from people [​IMG] - I wonder how many complaints that business got from people who never recieved their orders [​IMG]

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

It could be aliens trying to communicate with you.

9. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I was recently awakened at 2:30am by a guy identifying himself as "Travis", wanting to know if I'd be interested in joining the KKK. "Uh, thank you--no," was my surprisingly polite, if sleepy, reply.

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

It was probably a ghost. Report to the ghost thread for up to the date research about them.

11. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I haven't gotten any ghosts on my telephone, but I used to get them on my TV. Apparently outside antenna's used to attract them but cable doesn't. Hmmm, maybe I should report that on the ghost thread.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I was recently awakened at 2:30am by a guy identifying himself as "Travis", wanting to know if I'd be interested in joining the KKK.

Recruiting for the Klan is bad enough, but calling at that time of day is just wrong. The only sheets I'd be interested in would be the ones on my bed.

13. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I was thinking of a voice recorder. At my place of business, I take reservations for other corporations. When the phone call begins, one corporation in particular using a digital voice recorder. There is an intermittent beep that I hear similar to the one that Tom described.

But then, digital voice recorders don't place telephone calls. [​IMG]

Scott.

14. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

16. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    this happened to me all yesterday morning, a family member claims it was probably the phone company doing a line quality test. What ever it was they called every 5 minutes and it got real annoying.

17. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Keith,

I get that tone in the morning when I go to work. They call back every 5 minutes... a pain.

18. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

19. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I once got on an autodialer for a companies fax. It would call at 5:30 p.m. everyday. I got the number of caller ID, and sent a fax to the number which basically said,

Quit faxing 816-468-XXXX. It is not a fax number. You're really annoying me!

It stopped the next day.

20. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

A few months back, this was a problem at our house at about 3-4 am. It would happen twice. The same tones. It got very fustrating to the point where I got caller ID, and it always comes up annonymous. Thanks for nothing, Fucking caller ID.[​IMG]

I'd like to take this fax machine of somebody's, and feed it to the guilty fuck, via up his ass. Sideways. With no lube. While it's plugged in.
    Tool.[​IMG]