VERY odd 4x DVD-R errors with DVR-A05

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John_Berger, Aug 27, 2003.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this.

For the past two years with my DVR-A03, I've been making my DVDs by creating a DVD folder then using the included Prassi/Veritas PrimoDVD to transfer the DVD directory structure to the DVD-R. It's worked flawlessly and I've made zero coasters with it.

I finally got a batch of 4x DVD-Rs and tried to make a new project with the same method using the same software. As usual, I did a test burn on the 1x DVD-R/W media and it worked fine. Burn the directory structure to DVD-R (while drooling at the spped of a 15 minue write instead of 1 hour) and suddenly the disc completely fails on my DVD players. DVD-ROM is fine, but the standalones can't read the discs. This is incredibly bizarre because I used the exact same method that I've been doing for two years.

So, I install the NTI CD Maker software that came with the drive. Same problem. Now I'm getting pissed.

I decided to install Nero 5.5. After going through the wizard to create a video DVD using the same principle (just burning the DVD directory structure), the discs work fine in my standalones!

I'm relieved that I only made three coasters before my success with Nero, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. The data structure for this project is no different than any other DVD directory that I made since I've been using the same DVD creation software for two years. WHY would the software that I've been using suddenly create desktop-unreadable DVDs just because I switched to 4x media? This is really confusing. It's like your car failing because you switched from regular unleaded to super unleaded.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

3. John_Berger

The firmware is at 1.33, but shouldn't be an issue since Pioneer drives are programmed to either accept the media or not. If the media wasn't accepted by the firmware, it would have failed regardless of the software being used.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think there is a lot more incompatibility between hardware/software/media than the manufacturers would like to admit.

To be honest I just don't trust x4 DVD burning at the moment, despite my Sony being fully x4 compliant and using good quality media.

This sounds like stores of people having to burn audio CDs at x2 to play properly on their car stereos. There's a flaw in the writing process. If there wasn't, the same error would occur when the disc is burned at any speed.

5. John_Berger

I thought of that, too, so I tried burning at 2x when the problem first occurred. Same problem. The 4x DVDs only work when I use Nero, even though Nero is basically doing the exact same thing as PrimoDVD and NTI CD Maker. It's all really bizarre.

I also watched at least half of the DVD that I made and skipped throughout the disc. It seems to be fine. I'm confused, but if worse comes to worst I can always go back to 1x media, although that's not why I bought a 4x writer.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah but my point is that, that if a disc burned at x2 plays and at x4 doesn't, there is a difference in the written information on the disc. That should NOT happen.

8. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The thread title says "-A05", but the post says "-A03". If it is the "-A03", you might want to check out an article on Pioneer's Web site:

To Customers Who Use the Pioneer DVR-A03, DVR-A04, DVD-104 DVD-R/RW writers.

If you use 4x media on a drive with old firmware, the drive can destroy itself.

There is a firmware patch, but if it is like the one that Apple distributed for SuperDrive-equipped iMacs, it will change the behavior from "drive may destroy itself while attempting to identify 4x discs" to "drive burns 4x discs at a maximum speed of 1x".

It's an improvement, but it will still leave you shopping for 2x media.

9. John_Berger

No, the thread is about my A05 because the A03 can't do 4x. I've just been using the A03 up until this point. My point is that there should have been no difference between the two with the exception of writing spped, but apparently that's not the case.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I recall a DVD-R flagging problem where, if you have a DVD+R or DVD+RW, a burn will not operate on some DVD players because they are expecting to only see a "DVD-R" or "DVD" flag. They choke when they see anything else. Maybe PrimoDVD is setting a special flag based on the media you're using (4x) that is causing the standalones to ignore the discs?

Another possibility is that Nero is using a different ATAPI interface than PrimoDVD - which may be related to the flagging problem I mentioned above.

I am using Stomped RecordNow Max (same as Veritas RecordNow Max) 4.5 now with my Sony DRU500. Works great so far. *fingers crossed*

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

12. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

13. John_Berger

Okay, I'm going to do this again.

I am using the A05 at firmware revision v1.33. I no longer have the A03.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the authoring and writing method that I'm using has not changed between the A03 and A05. Yet, my 1x Riteks will work without any problem whatsoever in my A05. The Lead Data 4x will not work unless I use Nero. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Same directory structure, same method of authoring the DVDs, yet the software is the determining factor for the new discs which should not be the case.

It doesn't really matter anymore because I've had too many problems with these Lead Data discs. I'm going to RMA them and pay the extra for Ritek, which I know will work because Pioneer includes them with the A05.