VERY noisy Sci Atlanta 8300HD box?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dave snyder, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

Just upgraded to the Scientic Atlanta 8300HD DVR box available through my cable company.

This unit appears to have a fan and hard drive that doesn't shut down? Turned off tv last night and went to sleep to a nice, low-rumbling hum from this unit. Loud enough and instantly noticeable when you enter the bedroom. The unit itself is housed in the tv stand and behind a glass door.

Is this normal or should I be asking for another box? The old Pioneer box was completely noiseless.

thanks!

dave snyder

2. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    I have that same box and don't notice any sound coming from it. Its not in the bedroom though. I would think there is something wrong.

3. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I would call your cable company and see what they say. I have the same box and have never noticed any noise coming from it.

4. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

Jeff / Paul:

thanks. It's boxed up and going back to cable company store this morning.

Had one installer out who brought the box--he didn't even run a cable from the box to my TV! Said it was working fine as he left the home.

Another guy came out today to do a 'wall fish' to install another cable outlet the other guy said 'he couldn't do.' Guy on today's service call said his same box makes no noise and to return it for another.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that swapping out this box for a new one will cure the noise issue.

Thanks again for substantiating my suspicions.

Now, if my new Sony TV would get here!!!

dave

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I have the 8300D and it does make some noise, but not a low rumble; it makes a rhythmic clicking type noise when recording.
    It might also be uploading guide data and whatever else it does in the first 12-24hrs, so I'd wait 24hrs to see if it quiets down.
    If your cable reps are anything like here, they'd probably just swap it for a new one if it's still too noisy.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I've got an 8300 too, had it since July. It does not make any noticable sound.

7. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

James / Ronn:

thanks for the info.

Ronn - same thing last night. Lots of HD 'clattering' going on which may have been the updating you indicated as I wasn't recording anything.

Swapped out the 'noisy' box for a new one. No problem with the cable company. Guess I'll just have to get used to it 'cycling' through its activities on a nightly basis.

As someone else indicted, they don't hear anything with their box but it wasn't in the bedroom either! Hopefully, I'll get used to it.

Thanks again for the responses folks. Appreciate your help and input.

dave snyder