Very newb question about speaker wire.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matthew_Mel, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Matthew_Mel

Matthew_Mel Auditioning

Aug 18, 2005
    I just got my new Paradigm Speakers and i'm trying to set them up, but i'm having a little problem. I'm trying to put the speaker wire into the back of the speaker and one side of the wire goes in fine but the other is a really tight fit and i have to kinda twist it in. Is this ok for the speaker or is there something wrong?

2nd it says that i have to twist the knob onto the speaker wires tightly but not to overtighten. i tried tightening it and then when i took it back out the plastic covering to the wire is cut. Is this supposed to happen?

I'm just a little paranoid and don't want to screw anything up.thanks.

EDIT: Just been doing some looking and i saw these things called Banana Plugs. Are these easier to use or better? Thanks
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    You wire should be strip'd as far as the insulation goes back to just outside the connector.

Tight sould be ok, I usually go with the max wire size that will fit the smallest connector in my chain, so they are all very tight.
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    banana plugs are wonderful. they make it much easier to hook up speaker wire.

1. ease of use, especially if you plug/unplug your speakers a lot
    2. no chance of wire touching the other terminal

1. some say it's bad to have another "break" in the signal chain.
    2. they can be kinda pricey ... especially by the time you wire a 7..1 system on both the speaker and amp side.

be careful of non-standard spacing. some speakers (or amps) require you to use single banana plugs instead of the dual plugs (that are "clamped" together). it's not really a detriment ... just a hassle.
  4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    Are you stripping the wire before inserting it into the connector? It sounds like you are tightening the nut down onto the insulation instead of the wire. If this is the case, you will not get a very good connection, probably none at all. You must strip the plastic insulation away from the end of the wires (use a wire stripper tool or a blade of some sort and strip off about 1/2-3/4 inch) and only insert the stripped bare end of the wire into the connector. Do the same for the speakers. Wire cannot send a signal through insulation, only through metal to metal contact.