What's new

Very Merry Muppet Christmas -- where's the DVD? (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
I caught NBC's broadcast of It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie last night, and I must say, it's the absolute best Muppet feature since Henson's death.
I noticed a commercial for the video and a Muppet Show CD, so I went online to NBC's store, and lo and behold, it's not available on DVD. And it really needs to be on DVD, because a couple of shots were dead giveaways that it was framed for 16:9 and then pan-and-scanned.
I emailed the NBC online store about it, and am waiting for a reply. Anyone know if it will see DVD before the holiday season is over?

Brenton

Screenwriter
Just got this reply from NBC's store:
Brenton, we haven't been made aware of plans to convert this to DVD, but I wouldn't doubt if it happens. Perhaps if the Muppets have a web site, you could also check there.
If we can be of any further assistance please let us know.
Sincerely,
Rick
ShopNBC Customer Support
[email protected]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
NBC didn't want to pony up for authoring costs and are just looking for a quick buck. I'll be SHOCKED if we don't have a DVD for next Christmas from Columbia. I've emailed one of the show's producers about it
The other dead giveaway it was widescreen was the fact that it was being presented in HDTV :) That and the horrific cropping and panning all over the place

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
After reading all the positive reviews for this, I was really disappointed with it. The cameos by the likes of SCRUBS stars came off like a cheap promotional ad for NBC. There were a few giggles here and there (and it was much better than "Muppets In Space"), but still really felt overlong and just lacked the magic, IMHO. "Muppet christmas Carol" is still a far, far better movie.

At any rate, hopefully they'll restore Snopp Dogg's excised scenes for the DVD!!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Here's your chance, go to the direct source
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/
go under the "merchandise" section and people already have about 2 different threads about it.
no news yet, but people are talking about it, and the 'right' people are looking at the forum.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Muppet Central is a fansite, NOT Henson

Columbia will be responsible for distributing this title

Brenton

Screenwriter
The other dead giveaway it was widescreen was the fact that it was being presented in HDTV That and the horrific cropping and panning all over the place
I noticed it best when the Whoopie and David Arquette had that flying widescreen monitor. It was carried by these little cherubims, and you could hear their wings flapping, but you couldn't see them.

EDIT: Whoopie, by the way, seemed to me to be the low point of the feature. I just can't stand her!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
After reading all the positive reviews for this, I was really disappointed with it.
Same here. Lots of positive reviews and hype turned into a major disappointment. But I still love the Muppets and will probably buy the eventual DVD (if it includes an anamorphic WS version).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>The cameos by the likes of SCRUBS stars came off like a cheap promotional ad for NBC>

Havn't seen it yet, especially since I programmed the blasted VCR for only one hour instead of two, but this is the exact same thought that crossed my mind. Gee, we've got a big, well known show that's sure to get lots of ratings, lets get one of our unknown shows on there to help get the word about it.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I thought that the Scrubs sequence didn't feel out of place at all, and happened to be funny in a good old-fashioned Jim Henson-kind-of-way. Exactly something Piggy would do.

Brandon

Agent
"Jerry Nelson's name appeared in the end credits."

I didn't see that, but there were definite differences in his characters.

I went to MuppetCentral and the rumor there is that he's been seriously ill, and that's why he wasn't involved. I guess we can only hope for the best.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just saw the first half, at least to where the VCR stopped at Fozzie's bag delivery. So far, I rather like it. It's not hah hah funny, but it does fit the muppet style more so than the Christmas Carol, or Treasure Island movies. The latter being a bit tough to watch. And even though Gonzo didn't really need an origin story, Muppets From Space is a favorite of mine :).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I thought that it was the smartest Muppet film since the Henson days. Just like a return to the "original trilogy". I'd buy the dvd in a heartbeat. I'm sorry it's not out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.