very GOOD sub guestion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Jan 1, 2002.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

ok all i thank you for the input i have gotten but here is a run down if my problem which is still not solved.
    1 i have a powered infinity servo sub it was given to me so i do not have the documents on it and cant find the doc's on the web because( i would like to find them any ideas) there is no model numder marked cleary as model # ?????????
    2. it has 4 high level inputs ( for speaker wires)and 2 low level inputs (audio jacks), a level control and a freg control.
    3. my reciever is a technics stereo reciever with dobly pro logic ( bought it because i was a begenner know better now)it has a output for a sub.
    so I SHOULD run cable from sub outon the reciever to low level (right or left) in with a y connecter(or with out)right???????
    well wrong i get nothing
    4. i have tryed to connect the sub via the front ouputs just to see if i get something guess what i got nothing
    5. later i use a bigger audio jack ( have not bought a cable yet) and i got a very small amount of bass.i came back to it later and then i had nothing and i had not touched the set up
    WHAT THE HE&L IS THIS THINGS PROB.lol[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i was told by a tech at circuit city that my reciever would not push such a high end sub IS THIS TRUE????
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i need some help[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

> 2. it has 4 high level inputs (for speaker wires) and 2 low level inputs (audio jacks), a level control and a freg control.

Does it also have the speaker-out posts, so that you can run the speaker connections through the sub and let it extract the low frequencies?

> 3. my reciever is a technics stereo reciever

Does it have the sub turned on? Does it have a setting for sub on/off (in the speaker config)?

> so sub out to low level in with a y connecter(or with out)right???????

On my Velodyne, the manual says that without the Y connector, it sums both channels and so the Y is "optional".

> 4. i have tryed to connect the sub via the front ouputs

What are the front outputs?

> 5. later i use a bigger audio jack

Sorry, what do you call an audio jack? An RCA plug (the jack is the receptacle; the plug is the male)?

> I was told by a tech at circuit city that my reciever would not push such a high end sub

Since your sub is powered, this is BS (to me). There's nothing to push. You give it the signal from the sub out, and it has its own amp.

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Was this sub known by you to work before you acquired it? In other words did you hear it work before you got it?

Maybe the amp is bad.

First do what Randy said, and confirm that your receiver is configured properly, then report back. Let us know.

4. David D. C.

answer 1

no it does not have output for the speaker wire on the back of the sub only inputs

answer 2

there is no speaker config's at all i read the manuel to many times.lolother than a or b and that means that on the back of the reciever there should be an A set of front outputs an a B set of front outputs, BUT MY RECIEVER does not have the A OR B sET JUST HAS FONT LEFT AND FRONT RIGHT outputs. damn caps button srry

answer 3

the front outputs are on the back of my reciever its the location you plug in the speaker wire for your front speakers

answer 4 i used a larger rca cable not jack my bad

question::

you said((Since your sub is powered, this is BS (to me). There's nothing to push. You give it the signal from the sub out, and it has its own amp.

it has its on ac plug for the wall is this not a power sub???

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"Does it also have the speaker-out posts, so that you can run the speaker connections through the sub and let it extract the low frequencies?

I believe it was determined in a prior post that there are no speaker level outputs.

Given that this is a DPL receiver, I do not believe you will get output from the subout connection unless one or more of the speakers (fronts,center,rear) are set to "small" in the receiver menus. If they are all set to "large", nothing will be passed through the subout connection.

In addition, have you played with the level control on the sub? If it is all the way to minimum, this might account for the lack or minimal sound from the subwoofer. The other suggestion by Randy about making sure that the sub is "turned on" in the receiver menus is also critical.

Michael

6. Sean Conklin

David, did you hear it work before you got it?

7. David D. C.

sean

no i did not hear it before it was given to me free.for a high end sub i fig spend a few dollars to fix if i have to is still a good deal lol how much would it cost to replace the amp????

micheal

i have no speaker menu as odd as that sounds it just plug in the speakers and your done. my manual states "that connecting to a passive sub is also possible" and that i need a monaural stero converter cable to use the sub out on the reciever

what is a monaural stero converter cable ???????

8. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

I guess I am wrong about a DPL receiver having some sort of bass management function, as it appears the Technics does not. (Sorry, I jumped from a 2 channel receiver to a Dolby Digital receiver 2 years ago, completely skipping the DPL scene).

My only other guess why you have a subwoofer output on the Technics receiver is if it can accept 5.1 inputs from a digital decoder for DTS and/or Dolby Digital. If so, then the subwoofer input within the 5.1 inputs would be routed through to your Technics' subwoofer output.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't clearly see how you are going to make this subwoofer work with this receiver. If the subwoofer has speaker level outputs, then that would work, but it doesn't. If your receiver has front channel preamp (line level) outputs, then you could connect those to your subwoofer's line level inputs. At that point, you would adjust the subwoofer's crossover so that it would blend with your mains.

Michael

9. Sean Conklin

10. Randy Prue

Small clarification, David:

The BS was what the guy told you about the amp not being able to power the sub. Because the sub has an AC cord, it is self-powered (has its own amp), so all it needs is a signal from the receiver/amp.

Mono/Stereo thingie: might be a bad manual. Maybe it assumes that the sub has two inputs. In any case, the sub contains the amplifier that your reciever manual seems to state you need.

I think by now I'd be trying to contact support people at the sub's manufacturer.

Did any of anybody's suggestions change anything?

11. David D. C.

sean
    i am getting ready to upgrade the reciever in about 2 months yeah now income tax is great. i have a budget from 500 to 1000 dollares and i am looking really hard. i was a newbie when i bought that reciever a year ago and later learned that it has not dd or dts output or decoders with it i was so mad[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    mike
    thank you to i came to the same conclusion about 3 months ago and a new reciever is my only path but that is good because i love a new toy.
    to you both
    i am buying for good or for about 10 years so i need some info on recievers.
    like i said 500 to a 1000 at the most is all she will let me spend.

12. Sean Conklin

Well first try to test the sub, so we can get that fixed for you.

As for receivers under $1000, there are many fine candidates to choose from.

Look at the Onkyo 797, Kenwood 5090, Harmon Kardon 520, Marantz, Denon 2802 or 3802, Outlaw, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES.

This is a situation where you will have to spend some quality time demoing many models, and let your ears decide. If you come across something you like the sound and looks of then post with some questions and we will help you out.

Also you may want to do a search here on the forum for posts containing a certain brand, or posts containing"best receiver under $1000", there have been a great many posts about this subject, but don't hesitate to ask when buy time comes.

13. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

David,

Here are my thoughts since this is a DPL receiver connection:

You said regarding the sub connections;

"2. it has 4 high level inputs ( for speaker wires)"

I expect this is really a daisey-chain connection for the receiver and main speakers.

Here is how that daisey-chain connection works:

1) L&R speaker cable outputs from receiver --> sub L&R "high level" inputs

2) sub L&R speaker pass thru terminals "high level" --> L&R main speaker input terminals "high level"

Before you try this, please POST the exact "text label" for each of the "high-level" connections on your sub so I can confirm the pass-thru feature.

Next we will set the crossover "frequency" to match your main speakers.

What is the -3dB low frequency specification for them? i.e. what is the listed frequency response, typical entry looks like this: 50Hz-20kHz +-3dB

Do you have a Radio Shack SPL meter? This will let us set the levels for both mains and sub.

BruceD

14. David D. C.

bruce are you saying that my sub only haveing highlevl inputs (no outs) could work as the in coming from the reciever and the outs to the speakers?????? sounds crazy but believable lol

the exact text on the high level inputs are as follows:

high level inputs Low Level Inputs

i-----------i __

i ____ i /

i / i - left __/

i ____/ i

i i __

i-----------i left input right /

i ____ i __/

i / i +

i ____/ i

i i

i-----------i

i ____ i

i / i -

i ____/ i

i i

i-----------i right input

i ____ i

i / i

i ____/ i +

i i

i___________i

NO OUTPUTS

15. David D. C.

sorry it did not work i was trying to draw a outline

16. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Is there an input switch on the sub? In other words, is there a switch that you have to select which type (high or low) input you are using? Just a thought......

17. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

David,

Yes, that was what I am saying.

I assume all 4 high level inputs are designed to accept speaker cable.

So just follow my numbers below and fill in the blanks for each of the 4 inputs with "text . . . .?":

high-level speaker connects on sub:

#1) text. . . . . . .?

#2) text. . . . . . .?

#3) text. . . . . . .?

#4) text. . . . . . .?

BruceD

18. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Dave,, Does this sub have a 10 inch driver with an inverted dust cap? The driver itself faces forward and also has a port on the bottom? If it does I think I once owned that sub about 8 years ago. I think it was called the SSW10 There was also a 12 inch version as well (SSW12). If indeed it is the same sub the one I owned poped a fuse which is inline internaly in the main transformer. (Had to replace transformer). Im not saying its the same problem but youre problem brings back old memmories[​IMG]

19. David D. C.

bruce im trying this one more time

all inputs for speaker wire and no outs

i-------i

i _ i -

i / i

i _/ i

i i

i-------i left

i _ i

i / i +

i _/ i

i i

i-------i

i _ i

i / i

i _/ i -

i i

i i

i-------i right

i _ i

i / i

i _/ i +

i i

i_______i

if this blurs than

1. is left neg

2. is left positive

3. is right neg.

4. is right positive

20. Randy Prue

In the e-mail announcement of David's drawing, it came through perfectly (in a monospaced font, Courier). He's got (from top to bottom) left speaker -, left speaker +, right - and right +, then left and right RCAs.

What happens if he runs speaker wire from the mains, and either parallel or serial to the sub (besides changing the impedance)? Should work? Is that how this thing was intended to be used?