What's new

Very dumb projector question (1 Viewer)

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
Can LCD's and DLP's both produce television signals? Is this hooked up through a S-video from most satellite receivers?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Yep, you just need any sort of TV tuner, like that satellite receiver you mentioned. S-vid works fine, as with composite, or VGA (ie. the Viewsonic VB50), or any number of inputs.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Toby:

The best way to view a FP is like a computer monitor. The computer (receiver w/built in tuner and DVD player) is the source of the signal. The monitor (FP) is projecting the source component's signal.

Once I realized that my RPTV was only being used as a monitor...plus, I have a dedicated room with the ability to control light..it became a no-brainer. I will never go back to a RPTV again, when I can have 106" of HD.

Ron

PS: I just realized it's my 1,000 post! Thanks to Ron and Parker for a forum to share the fun/passion of HT.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You can even hook up your VCR using composite video and use the tuner on that for TV :)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Ron, how much did you spend on your projector if you don't mind my asking? I am getting ready to buy a 3000 dollar Toshiba, but if there is a better option for around the same amount of money... I am guessing a good projector costs a lot more than 3 grand though.

I also can completely control the light in the room that I will use.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Sheldon:

I bought a Cinema 13HD (Sanyo PLV60) LCD projector. Naitive 16x9 panels and HD compatable. THis cost 3,699. I bought the screen used for $400. Two projectors in your range that seem to be a hit at AVS forum are the Sharp M20X for 2,700 and the Panny AE100 for 1400 (from Japan) or 1,800 from a US retailer. Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to talk in detail. I've spent the last couple of months researching....so it's fresh, but I am by no means an expert. One the thing I do know is that having a FP with 106" screen finally makes the room feel like a home theater.

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
Thanks guys. I thought that was the case, but I just wanted to make sure. I am probably going to buy the panasonic ae100 also. My goal is to have my system up and running before the Superbowl.

Does anyone know of any posts regarding ceiling mounting projectors, and alternatives to the $300 store bought units? Also, what about good sources to purchase ceiling mounts online, if I have to go that route?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks