Very Confused about sat/sub systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian a, Feb 11, 2002.

1. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I though I had a handle on the whole sat/sub crossover thing until I read this today on avs:

2. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Anyone have any insight into this? I'm about to upgrade speakers and this will have a huge impact on my purchase. I don't want to lean to heavily on the measurements of what speakers do since it's such a subjective item, but I would like to know if this is even mathmatically true.

My current Energy C-6's seem to be able to make quite a bit of noise without having 8" drivers in them.

I want to get a set of M&K S-150thx speakers and they certainly don't meet the dual 8" specs either.

brianca....

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    These numbers are only for the person's design. Driver excursion, efficiency, and enclosure type also affect the max SPL. IMO, setting main speakers to small (regardless of size) will improve power handling, distortion, & bass response.

4. brian a

brian a Second Unit

So then you would agree that the Diva line, aside from the 6.1s, are unable to play cleanly at reference levels even with set to small?

brianca..

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Brian, I think that being able to play a 6.5" driver at 90db levels at 80Hz is already pretty good. Unless you like listening to stuff at deafening levels, the figures provided should not overly alarm you. If you're not alarmed at the current speakers that you own, it should be an indicator that actual real-world listening could be very different from perceived performance based on measurements (unless, of course, you're going to be sitting in an anechoic chamber). [​IMG]