VERY cheap reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Parker, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I need a really cheap reciever that supports dolby digital and hopefully DTS. I need it for hooking it up to my computer, because my computer has optical and coaxial digital outputs. I want to be able to watch dvds on my computer. I want to spend around 150 or less, because I have about that much money in Best Buy gift certificates [​IMG] So any suggestions? I guess I have to get it at Best Buy... I saw an Aiwa one there for about that much, but they usually arent known for their terrific quality. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

The best thing you can get at Best Buy is probably one of the Yamaha receivers that they sell. But I don't think you can get it for $150.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would take a look at the entry level Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC or Technics Receivers. They can all be found for under $200.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up a Sony STR-DE475 for my bedroom for $150, then sold it and picked up a used Marantz SR4000 (previous generation) to replace it for the same price. [​IMG] Ask if they have any old or floor models, you can often get great deals on good gear by taking something old. Though you may miss out on a few features, it's not always a big deal.

5. Mark O'Donnell

If you can do with out the DTS Cambridge SoundWorks DTT2500 is a great deal for under $150 and it includes speakers w/ stands, a Subwoofer and remote.[​IMG]
    This is what my wife and I use in our bedroom and we have been very pleased so far.
    Anandtech review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1055

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Do an internet search for the JVC line and go to JR and get a price match + free ship.[​IMG]

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

BestBuy.com has the Aiwa AV-D58 on sale for $172.92

400 watts of power (80W x 5 @ 8 ohms, 40Hz - 20kHz, no more than 0.9% THD)

Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, plus Dolby Pro Logic

Digital synthesized AM/FM tuner with 32 station presets

DSP with 5 presets

Graphic EQ with 5 preset and 5 user-programmable curves

3-step Super T-Bass low-frequency boost

2 digital audio inputs (1 optical, 1 coaxial)

3 A/V inputs (1 front, 2 rear) and 2 A/V outputs

Phono input

Includes remote

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'd pick up a used Onkyo 474 or 484...check eBay or audioreview's classifieds.

10. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

i hate to bring this up but he stated that he has about $150 in best buy gift cards. thus he must buy it from best buy (unless he sells them) as far as the awia, i have a cd player in my wifes car for the same price and it ok. my only gripe is the signal to noise ratio(85 db) other than that i like it. and their book shelf systems arnt too bad either. i would go for the cheapest yammie they have(i will only buy yamaha,imo they have the best dsp) so there you go......some mind food!!!!

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I would agree th Bruce on this one! If you can swing it! Though you did mention the Best BUY certifcates, which in that case the Pioneer would be out! Maybe they could search other BB stores and find one of the VSX-D709S.
    For the money, at Bruces link, or on Ebay, (Ebay new refurbs 209.00 buy it Now)!!!
    This is basicly a 33TX with out the THX and Elite badge. This is one smoken receiver for the money! A steal at 200.00 smakers!
    I just picked up 3 709's Factory Refurbs with warrenty, out of NY, a private sale started threw Ebay. Paid 180.00 a piece and 20.00 to ship all 3 to Michigan! The only gripe is the manual. Not the remote. This thing will do just about everthing but make coffee...
    Adjustable crossovers all channels, 80-120-150, DD5.1 DTS, 5channel stereo, tone control all channels, preouts all channels, video switching, assignable & lableing of digital inputs, 6 channel in for up-coming formates, 5 seprate discreat amps, Large Do Matrix display 3 stage dimiable, AND a TON more stuff.
    Check out Bruces link as most basic info is thier, though it dose have & do more than they show, also do a www.google.com search for reviews, much info avaiable on this unit....
    At it's price point, (and I dislike Pioneer) like Camaros, everybody has one.... This is a hell of a receiver for 200.00 bucks.
    Just make sure it has the white sticker on the back meaning the softwhere bug and some other issues that the Pioneer VSX-D709S, Elite 33TX, (Elite 36 or 39TX), not sure on the last modle #, all had when first released.
    Almost all the 709S's that are out for sale have had the upgrade!
    Just my 2cents.
    Good Luck in what ever you choose [​IMG]
    Regards
    Geoff

13. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Yeah. I would like to purchase from Best Buy as I have the gift cards. Esentially, if i spend 150 or less, the reciever will end up costing me nothing as the gift certificates can only be used at best buy. If bumping my price range up to 200 dollars would make a *huge* difference then I would spend the extra money.

Another thing is that I really should get rid of my old sony prologic reciever before I buy this one. Does anyone know what a STR-D565 from the mid 1990's would be worth right now?

One other thing to note is that I dont have to upgrade right now. I could wait awhile when they have a good reciever on sale. I guess ill just check the circular ads from week to week to see if there are any good deals out there.

Thanks again guys.