Very Beginnerish about TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BobbyPerry, Dec 9, 2004.

1. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

My brother wants to buy a new HDTV for Chistmas but hasn't got a clue what the differences are. i have tried to explain to him, but the two of us discussing anything is all butting heads. I told him I would ask a question in here and show him people's responses. Okay, here's the question: What is the basic/simple difference between Plasma, LCD, and DLP? Which is the overall best value for the price? And what do people recommend? Thanks again. It will be easier to convey to my brother the differences with other people's opinions.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Pros and Cons for new technology TV's

Read the whole thread, some of the assumptions in the first post are not that accurate. Don't leave out CRT RPTV's, the best bang for the buck and IMHO, the best picture of all of them.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Spend time watching differnet models and different technologies. A half an hour in front of one set is not unreasonable.

Note that CRT sets are somewhat heavier than sets with the other technologies.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I have heard, that due to the number of factories being built overseas to produce Plasma TV's, the prices will drop dramatically in the next couple of years.

This might be something you want to take into consideration before your purchase as well.

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Plasma is very bright. It often has grid lines visible even at 4 ft or so. If HD, it is usually 768p which means all input has to be scaled. It is still expensive (HD). It is flat (wall-mountable) but heavy. Blacks aren't the greatest, but are better than LCD. Popular with folks who care about "decor."

LCD - direct view - is bright. It has screen door effect which is not visible beyond about 2 ft. It is flat and heavy and expensive. Resolutions vary. Popular with folks who care about "decor."

RP-LCD is very bright. Same observations as LCD for screen door effect. Not as flat but lighter than direct view or plasma. Excellent $ per inch. Usually 720p meaning at least SOME HD content is displayed without any scaling required. Poor black levels. Some vertical banding in camera pans in some sets. Bulbs can be replaced ... currently about $200 but expected to fall in the next 2 - 3 years.

DLP is very bright. Better black levels/contast ratios than LCD. Some people get headaches watching or see rainbows. 720p native resolution. Same general size/weight as RP-LCD. Bulbs can be replaced ... currently about $200 but expected to fall in the next 2 - 3 years. Very good $ per inch.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Bobby, tell him to buy the Dec. issue of Consumer Reports, they tested all types of TV's, and also explain the differences pretty good. I agree with Jeff, RPTV's have the best picture quality for the money. If you don't mind the size. Or buy a front projector. I use mine for all DVD's and occasional HDTV. It is FANTASTIC. You can have a much bigger picture(mine is 106" diagonal), damn near the quality of a nice RPTV for less money. I paid $799 new for my X1 projector, made my screen for $40.00, and made my ceiling mount for $15.00.

7. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to go share with him and now see what he has to say. Thanks again.