What's new

Very basic audio question (1 Viewer)

Will Eisenbarth

Auditioning
Just got interested in the whole Home Theather thing. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I did buy a Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer. A sub is probably not the first thing that most people buy for their systems... but ohwell. I would rather not invest in an Amp just yet, and was wondering whether I could simply plug the sub into the "Audio Out" (Variable/FIX) on my Sony Trinitron KV-32TS36. I can't imagine why this wouldn't work, but I just wanted to make sure.
I'll probably just use some Y-Splitters to also plug in my 4 Altec Lansing Computer Speakers:) I know you're all drooling, but please, try to control yourselves.
Btw, The Audio Out from the TV is just composite, red and white. Please let me know if something doesn't sound right. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FYI: The audio outputs are analog outs, not composite. Composite is video.

I don't see why this wouldn't work, but personally, I wouldn't do it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
A friend of mine who isn't really into HT, does the same thing you want to do, but uses a smaller Sony sub.

It works fine, but if you're going to really get into HT and build a complete HT, then I'd skip doing the sub connected to TV thing.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Will,

Like Jason mentioned, make sure the input you use will be filtered by the crossover on the sub. because you're talking about feeding it "full range" audio signal from your TV set- it will need to be filtered to prevent doing damage to the sub unit.

Your sub should have a built in crossover function (some subs have different inputs, one that uses the x-over, one that doesn't- so consult your manual)-- make sure it is turned on and set the crossover dial between 80-100hz. This fill filter out all the audio signal with a higher picth and will prevent it from try to reproduce signal it wasn't designed for.

I would be careful doing this, mostly because- being a new sub owner- I would assume that you will be very conscious of the sub's performance. Hooking up the sub the way you've described will likely provide rather "uneven performance"- and you will probably be tempted to crank the thing up well beyong where it is intended. BY doing so you will probably get disappointing bass (boomy, tubby, not at all accurate) and run the possible risj of damage.

Also, make sure your TV settings are set to VARIABLE, not fixed. With variable, the output to the sub will be varied with the master volume setting-- making it turn up and down accurately to match the overall volume of the system.

-Vince

Will Eisenbarth

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help. The sub does have a built in crossover, and I'll definately be making sure that the audio goes through the crossover, so I don't get the full range audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks