Very bad color banding when watching DVD

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Alfred Seet, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Alfred Seet

Alfred Seet Auditioning

[​IMG]

I was watching Futurama on DVD and noticed exceptionally bad color banding in areas of color gradients (such as the sky). See picture above as an example. Instead of a smooth blend of colors, I got distinct bands of colors.

I'm using a Philips Q50 DVD player, Pixel Plus TV, and Monster Component Video cables. Is this a problem with my TV, player, cables or is it the source material? Can I change any settings on my dvd player or TV to reduce this banding effect?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Turn down the brightness and the contrast. Report back.

3. Alfred Seet

Alfred Seet Auditioning

I used a digital camera to take screenshots, do forgive the quality. The color banding is quite obvious, look at the walls and ceiling. I tried adjusting contrast and brightness, doesn't have any effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I am guessing that it is either a deficiency of the DVD player (el cheapo?) or the source material (do you see it on all movies?)

Banding suggests that the digital circuits are not using enough bits. If I remember correctly, DVD is encoded with 256 levels for each of Y, Pb, and Pr. This means 8 bits are needed for each.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. David Watt

David Watt Auditioning

Encountered something like that with my Eagles DVD. It is encoded in NTSC but my player is set, by default, to PAL.

I set the player to "auto" and the picture comes out great.