What's new

Vertigo: Ridiculously complicated or complicatedly ridiculous? *SPOILERS* (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah, I've always sorta debated which ending is better. On one hand the shot of Scotty staring down at Judy from the belltower is the logical ending point of the story but there's something strangely compelling about the final sequence of Scotty now able to look out of Midge's window quietly contemplating what he has gained and what he has lost. They both work fairly well IMO.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
PSYCHO SPOILER

Plus that's not the point of suspense IMO. That's the setup for future suspense. The trick was that the audience thinks Leigh is a main character, when in fact she is a plot device meant to put other people in suspenseful danger later.

She's more like the old lady in The Lady Vanishes as I see it. We all know what a bomb is, but Hitch had to establish what sort of danger Bates was in order for the audience to later fret over his presence.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed, artists do not create in a vacuum, although I don't see Hitchcock in Eraserhead. Not the camera angles, pacing, story elements, dialogue, themes, music, props etc. Brunel is a much closer, although to my view, even though I'm not a big fan of Eraserhead, I think it is one of the most original films of the last 40 years.

Yep, no answers out of Lynch, ever. Which is fine with me. He believes that you observe a painting, not ask the painter what he had in mind, which is completely fair. However, if don't want to talk about your work, don't talk about it. BUT, don't tease your audience with a list of '10 clues to unlock Mulholland Dr.' either. You can't have it both ways and few people like a tease.

Lynch collaborated on a book (Lynch on Lynch) where he says nothing. And interview upon interview where he does the same. If you've heard one Lynch interview, you've heard them all. Matter of fact, I don't know of a director who has said more while saying so little.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well--and this is really a gratuitous stretch made solely to justify my statement--you could say that the woman in the radiator is the unobtainable icy blond. Then again, she lives in a radiator so how could she be icy? :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks