What's new

Vertigo, how many of you have had it? (2 Viewers)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I have suffered from this on and off for years....and there is usually a pattern that it follows...

- Get a common head cold that usually causes me to blow my nose a lot

- After about 3 days - the cold is gone and I am feeling better

- Then, sometime during the night on the 4th or 5th day - I will wake up with the room spinning - often times so bad it makes me [COLOR= black]nauseous[/COLOR]

- If I keeping my head from moving, the spinning will lessen but not go away. Any time I change the orientation of my head, the room starts spinning again.

- Will go to the Dr and get some medication - and the spinning will stop between 3 and 10 days.

- The first time I got it, I had an ear infection - and was only treated for the Vertigo - so it lasted for a couple of weeks until I went to a different Dr - he gave me something for the infection and it went away, and the spinning finally stopped.
- Never forget - the first time it hit was on Christmas eve my first year out of college - I was trying to go to the midnight Mass, and riding in a car turns out to be a big no no when this is happening (I wasn't driving, but just being a passenger is enough - turns out your frame of reference changes a lot when you are in a car) - I got out of the car at Church, couldn't stand or walk, and fell on the ground. My girlfriend at the time took me to the emergency room.

- I also have to be careful and not clean my ears with Q-tips - this seems to also start the process - I make sure to use an ear-wax cleaning kit.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I may add later. In the early 80's I really had a period of very bad dizzy spells. In Spring I had taken s long walk around most of the Starnbergersee. The dizziness could have have been in part due to spring pollen which is normally under controll, Iz could have been caused in part that the aircondition where I work was bad. I also know that my nose is not straight inside. My old nose & throat doctor told me to never operate on this - things may be worse. Younger doctors want to operate on it. I also know that I never like spinning around at a fair.

My big problem mentioned about was very bad for a few days and slowly got better. I also discovered when not lying down NOT to bend my head backwards. I also discovered that sniffing tea helped. My ear doctor recommend boiling water with very fine salt (not table salt) and inhaling the fumes. This seemed to do a very good job. One's doctor or drug store will be able to advise how much salt and water. For the next few years the salt and boiling water helped quite a bit. I also want alot of fresh ear in my apartment. Rarely do I have problems with being dizzy currently.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
This article sums it up and describes how to immediately cure it

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/11/how_to_treat_vertigo.html

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks