What's new

Vertigo from Universal (1 Viewer)

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
I'd read about the restoration of this film, but was very disapointed in that my copy's by far the worst I've ever seen from a major studio on DVD. Some of the scenes are so washed out, they would be an embarrassment on VHS. In addition, strictly from a standpoint of curiosity, why're the Paramount and VistaVision opening logo's in B&W?

Bob Engleman

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Are you aware that some of the scenes in Vertigo were intended to look somewhat foggy?
(For a detailed discussion on the "look" of Vertigo, you may wish to visit this thread.)
And, while I can't say for sure, I would assume that the Paramount and VistaVision logos are supposed to be in B&W.
After the restoration was done, I had the opportunity to see the film in a cinema. To me, the DVD looks very much the same as the theatrical exhibition. And it's one of the best looking non-anamorphic transfers I've seen.
I would suggest moving this thread to Software, where it might get more views. I'm sure there's at least one person who would be able to set the record straight on the Vertigo DVD. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The opening logos are indeed meant to be B&W.

I don't know how you think it's washed out. I've always been impressed by the vibrancy of the color in the restored version. Saul Bass's opening credits look fresh off the cel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob, like the others, I don't agree with your assessment about the dvd presentation.

Crawdaddy

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for their replies; I've been working 7 dys. recently as the video business's been booming. I'll re-watch the disc, and make note of the exact time of all of what I consider to be "washed out". In addition, I realize that certain scenes used a filter, and wasn't including those in my comment.

Bob Engleman

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just watched my Vertigo DVD today. Looks great (IMO)!!

Excellent doc. on the restoration as well.

Should be in every Hitch fans' library!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I too think a new IP struck from the restored 70mm negatives should be used to create a new 1080p HD 1.85:1 widescreen digital master under the supervision of Robert A. Harris. Then use it for the new DVD.

Then use the superb archival 5.1 surround master used to create the laserdisc's DTS encoded track and put a new DTS soundtrack on the DVD.

Put the two together and place the full documentary on the restoration on disc two and add new commentary by the noted Hitchcock historian (used on many Criterion Hitchcock discs) and a new commentary with Robert A. Harris.

Dan

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Although I like the current offering very much, I do wish it was anamorphic.

Personally, I would never complain about re-purchasing an improved Hitchcock title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks