Vertigo from Universal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Engleman, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

I'd read about the restoration of this film, but was very disapointed in that my copy's by far the worst I've ever seen from a major studio on DVD. Some of the scenes are so washed out, they would be an embarrassment on VHS. In addition, strictly from a standpoint of curiosity, why're the Paramount and VistaVision opening logo's in B&W?

Bob Engleman

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Are you aware that some of the scenes in Vertigo were intended to look somewhat foggy?
    (For a detailed discussion on the "look" of Vertigo, you may wish to visit this thread.)
    And, while I can't say for sure, I would assume that the Paramount and VistaVision logos are supposed to be in B&W.
    After the restoration was done, I had the opportunity to see the film in a cinema. To me, the DVD looks very much the same as the theatrical exhibition. And it's one of the best looking non-anamorphic transfers I've seen.
    I would suggest moving this thread to Software, where it might get more views. I'm sure there's at least one person who would be able to set the record straight on the Vertigo DVD. [​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The opening logos are indeed meant to be B&W.

I don't know how you think it's washed out. I've always been impressed by the vibrancy of the color in the restored version. Saul Bass's opening credits look fresh off the cel.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Bob, like the others, I don't agree with your assessment about the dvd presentation.

Crawdaddy

5. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

What this title really needs is an anamorphic treatment. Although the current version is excellent, a true anamorphic version would be even better, especially for those of us who have 16x9 TVs.
    Vertigo Anamorphic DVD Petition

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for their replies; I've been working 7 dys. recently as the video business's been booming. I'll re-watch the disc, and make note of the exact time of all of what I consider to be "washed out". In addition, I realize that certain scenes used a filter, and wasn't including those in my comment.

Bob Engleman

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Just watched my Vertigo DVD today. Looks great (IMO)!!

Excellent doc. on the restoration as well.

Should be in every Hitch fans' library!

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I too think a new IP struck from the restored 70mm negatives should be used to create a new 1080p HD 1.85:1 widescreen digital master under the supervision of Robert A. Harris. Then use it for the new DVD.

Then use the superb archival 5.1 surround master used to create the laserdisc's DTS encoded track and put a new DTS soundtrack on the DVD.

Put the two together and place the full documentary on the restoration on disc two and add new commentary by the noted Hitchcock historian (used on many Criterion Hitchcock discs) and a new commentary with Robert A. Harris.

Dan

10. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Although I like the current offering very much, I do wish it was anamorphic.

Personally, I would never complain about re-purchasing an improved Hitchcock title.