What's new

Vertigo Collector's Edition: Case says DD 5.1, HK says 5.0 (1 Viewer)

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if anyone else has reported this, but when I put in the Vertigo Collector's Edition DVD into my Panasonic player, my Harman Kardon AVR-110 showed that Vertigo was in fact only sending 5.0 discreet channels to my receiver. I looked at the case again, and it said 5.1. I looked for it at a couple of places online, which all reported it to be 5.1, but HK says there is not dedicated LFE.

Can anyone else confirm this, and if it is true, very interesting that it has not been reported yet by even such authorities as WSR.

And yes, my AVR was set to Sub On, the HK shows a red rectangle for the sub being set on, but there was no "LFE" inside the box saying it was receiving a signal, as it was for all other channels.

Please confirm.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
My receiver also pulls up a 5.0 mix. Still not bad though... if only the picture was anamorphic. Great disc, otherwise.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
There was never a LFE track to begin with so it's not really "missing". I believe Vertigo was originally a mono release and this stereo version was created using the original music score recordings. Since Robert Harris aims to restore as accurately as possible to the original version, rather than "improve" a director's vision, there doesn't need to be one.

This of course goes completely against the idea of a new stereo mix, but one listen to Herrman's score coming through in true stereo completely validates the decision.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
OK, good. So I'm not crazy.

This is obviously not too big of a deal. But I am kinda surprise by the lack of response. I know that alot of times the studio gets the information wrong on the DVD case, and then all the online sites get it wrong too.

But have we all just accepeted this as normal operating procedures? I'm no longer talking specifically about Vertigo, but in general. Seems like mislabeling the surround channels (among other things) happens too frequently. How hard is it for a studio releasing a major motion picture to know (and print) the correct number of channels? I think this problem is a lack of communication, but at what point do we start to hold them accountable for misprints?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, judging by posts I've seen here about major releases ("lacking" bass in some DTS tracks, 1.78 vs. 1.85 aspect ratio, 448 vs. 384 Kbps DD and 768 vs 1.5Mbps DTS, not to mention the age old DD vs. DTS) I'd say that people are as critical (and in some cases overcritical) as ever.

But I am kinda surprise by the lack of response.
I think this is more due to:
1) the age of the Vertigo DVD (as it was released a few years ago), and
2) I am pretty sure this topic has been discussed before. If it doesn't show up in a search here, it may have been a thread before we moved servers.

Seth_S

Second Unit

To clarify, Herman's score was recorded in stereo and down mixed for theatrical release.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Seth_S wrote,
Just curious, is the error also on the version with the revised cover art (as in not the original version with the film's poster on the front).
The DVD I am talking about is the one with this cover:

I don't know about the earlier version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks