Vertical shift problem with progressive signals..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott O'Keeffe, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any new news on how to fix this problem? I have a Pioneer sd-532hd and a Panny 91 that shifts the image vertically for progressive signals.
    I've been trying to research, but to no avail. I can live with it for 2.35:1 material, but some material gets cut off for 1.85:1 material.
    Any news appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Scott

2. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Problem solved re: horizontal problem which I had.
    So I've edited that out...
    Well, the horizontal shift problem can be changed with a few button presses, and there is a shift setting to shift the image up in the menus. However, I don't know of any way to shift the image downwards.
    How much gets cut off? I'm interested because I was considering recommending this player to a Pioneer SD-582HD5 owner.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 19, 2001 at 12:07 AM]

3. Scott O'Keeffe

Eugene,
    No problem for the horiz. shift. Hold the joystick to the right and hit the stop button on the unit itself. Each hit of the stop button shifts one pixel over. You might have to do this multiple times. That should fix your problem.
    Now, anyone for the vertical solution? I've heard its a monitor problem, rather than the Panny.

4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Yes thanks, I had figured it out just beforehand as you can see from my message. Doh!
    Stupid me, because I now remember I had changed it before (until a reset). It's right in the RP91 FAQ too.
    Anyways, how much gets cut off on your TV?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 19, 2001 at 12:09 AM]

5. Scott O'Keeffe

I'd say about 2-3% on 1.85:1 material. None gets cut off on 2.35:1 material, but the black bars are very uneven. The whole image is shifted upwards. Looks like this...

6. Scott O'Keeffe

crap, my illustration didn't go through as planned. Imagine more space under the 2nd XX's than the first.

7. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Scott, I'm seeing the same thing as you are, as I have the same set-up (rp-91 and SD532-HD5) I was told by Jason over at Onecall that I should adjust the VPOS in the service menu to adjust the image vertically. I asked him if this was a global change or on a per input change, he told me it was on a per inputr change. The info on adjusting this is supposed ly on the Keohi (spelling??) I'm going to look for this info and see if I can adjust things. I'll let you know what I find.
    Drea

8. Scott O'Keeffe

Hi Drea,
    Hope you have better luck than me. I downloaded the service manual over at Keohi's site and I only see an adjustement for VSIZ. A VPOS setting would definitely be the key, but i'm not sure it has one.
    Definitely keep me in the loop if you find it! Good luck and I have my fingers crossed.
    Scott

9. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Scott,
    Did you try and see if using the same method to shift the image left right (holding the joystick and hitting stop)on the Panny works in both the vertical and horizontal directions?? I'm going to try that as it would probably be something like that, that works.

10. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

The joystick trick only works in the horizontal direction, not the vertical. Was hoping it would be something easy. Well guess I'll keep looking.