Vertical shadow/lines in my HD Philips??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin G., Feb 18, 2005.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Just noticed these a few weeks ago...
    Have kinda laid off the Xbox,(wife and I got into a fight), so I'm not so sure that's it... Just wondering with all the experience and knowledge here...
    Philips 30pw850h CRT flat.
    Kinda ghosted and shadowed... about a third in from edges, both sides, really notice it when the screen goes dark, like when a show goes to commercial or in a cut scene...
    I'm not running HD broadcast.
    Have not, as of yet, checked my 420p dvd connection.
    Any thoughts??

2. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

It's called uneven crt wear. I have it as well on my rather old toshiba 40inch theaterwide. Even though I watch about 80% in widescreen, I still wound up with this.

The only thing to do so that it doesn't worsen is watch everything in widecreen or full mode.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hmmmmmmmmm...
    All my viewing is in widescreen modes... In fact I took some abuse a while back for watching ntsc broadcasts in wide/zoom modes!!
    AND the TV is less than a year old!!!!!!!!!
    Do I have any recourse with Philips??

4. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

In your case, if its less than a year old, I would think this would be covered under warranty. There's no way you should be seeing vertical bands at this stage especially if you're watching in widescreen.

My set was literally the first widescreen rptv set on the market when I bought it, so i've had it for a while. I'm wondering if your set was a demonstrator from a store or something. You need a lot of hours on a set to create those bars. I'd return it if possilbe, if not get it serviced or replaced under warranty.