vertical projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George V, Jun 8, 2001.

1. George V

George V Extra

Can you mount a LCD FP projector vertical so the image is directly up and then use a mirror to project toward screen? I am trying to fit a small projector into a wall with it slighty sticking out of the wall so I could cover/hide with a picture or such.
    TIA,
    George V

2. KeithA

KeithA Extra

Sure... the mirror has to be as large as the projected image for the distance between the projector and the mirror (including the effect of angling mirror, increasing the mirror size requirement). You'll want to draw out your expected light path (making sure to get the reflection angles correct for all edges of your image) and make sure that you won't be obstructing your view with the mirror.
    For optimal quality, you'll need a good flat first-surface mirror... these are pricey and are hard to care for if they're exposed. If this is a problem, try projecting into a bathroom mirror and see if the light reduction and the loss of image clarity or any ghosting artifacts that result are acceptable to you (project at approximately the angle and distance that you will be installing at, as this affects how noticeable the artifacts are from using a second surface mirror).

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i'd check with the mfr of the projector you choose to confirm it is designed to be mounted other than horizontal. some electronic products can only be used in a specific orientation, due to the way they are designed to dissipate heat.