Vertical lines moving up on TV Image

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BruceVC, Oct 13, 2003.

1. BruceVC

BruceVC Extra

Hi. I noticed while watching TV tonight (Tosh 42H82) there were subtle, vertical, whitish lines about maybe 4 inches apart moving up the screen. This is the first time I have noticed this (my wife did too) after about a year of owning the set. I have Time Warner Digital Cable and when I switched to HD programming (Discovery HD), I did not notice this.

This past weekend I did swap out some lesser quality cables (component from cable to TV for HD and audio/video cables for regular broadcasting) for some better quality ones by Acoustic Research. I also put my cable wire coming into the house through a surge protector. I also recently hooked up some Energy Surround Sound speakers but those are magnetically shielded.

Before I start taking things apart I figured I would give it a day to see if it is a cable service issue but in general, what should I consider when addressing this issue?

Thanks. (Hope I have this in the correct forum.)

Bruce
    Raleigh, NC

2. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

I have seen this {white scan lines} many times.
    And where I don`t have digital cable as a reference , I would conclude that it is an NTSC signal issue.
    With a "large" screen your going to see every thing that NTSC has to offer [​IMG]
    No mater how great a TV is or how many goodies it has, 480i is it (under the best conditions, DVD, LD, video games ) .
    An NTSC signal only carries 330 lines , that it ? Yes [​IMG]
    Just think before DVD`s & LD`s , when we were watching VHS , res. was only 240 lines.
    Line doublers may help , but they X2 every thing even scan lines.
    Even the purest TV`s , just can`t overcome the NTSC. (even though they advertise that they can, they just "mask " it with better apiture grills ,ie the new Sony XBR`s and Panny`s tricks like realy good electronics)
    But in the end TV (cable = 330) DVD or LD 480i or p.
    I hope this helps [​IMG]
    Happy veiwing [​IMG]
    Gary

3. BruceVC

BruceVC Extra

Thanks Gary. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this as it seems to have been a sudden appearance. And now that I see my original post, I meant to say horizontal lines (duh!).

Hurts when you try to improve something (in this case, cables but I don't feel it is this - yet) and then you notice something negative that you didn't notice before. Gotta listen to that "If it ain't broke..." saying more.

4. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Glad I could help , Bruce [​IMG]
    U`a know , in a few years we`ll be laughing at all the junk there used to be , just like we do about VHS today.
    When I was growing up we always had tv`s but not cable [​IMG]
    So I can remember watching TV shows through snow and all kinds of junk.
    So when I first got cable it was like WOW there is a picture after all [​IMG] LOL
    Happy Viewing [​IMG]
    Gary

5. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Are you talking about vertical lines that move across the screen from one side to the other, or are you actually talking about horizontal lines that move from the bottom of the screen to the top???

It may not be all that technical a problem. I've got scrolling horizontal lines, and there are two possibilities that I am aware of.

1) a grounding problem with your cable...search for ground loop.

2) I have had, and currently have, horizontal lines that scroll up my screen. Both on my 27" and 53" RPTV...looks WAY worse at 53". Had the cable company come out, and where the cable comes into my house, the ends of the cable and the splitter they used were somewhat corroded. They cut off the ends of the cable and replaced the splitter and the picture was clear. However, 2 months later it was back. Same problem, same solution. 2 more months pass, same problem. This time I have them split the cable inside the house to reduce weather effects. This time, no improvement. I'm waiting for them to offer a solution.