What's new

Vertical ghosting line due to cable box (1 Viewer)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Hi all. I just received Time Warner Digital Cable a few dyas ago. I have their digital cable box in my A/V rack on top of my VCR. This evening is the first time I've played a DVD on my system since the installation of digital cable. Bear in mind, this is my first time with a cable box.
I'm assuming due to some type of interference from the cable box, there is a ghosting line that scrolls vertically from top to bottom while playing a DVD!!! *GRR!* :angry:
It drove me absolutely crazy to the point where I actually had to shut off the movie.
All of my interconnects and cables are sort of bound together in my A/V rack so moving anything around would be quite time consuming. Luckily enough, I'm moving in less than two weeks so I'll be able to better experiment with things better at that point. I'm thinking I may attempt moving my DVD player to the very top shelf in my A/V rack and the cable box which is on top of my VCR at the moment to the very bottom shelf of my A/V rack.
If that doesn't work, I have no idea how I could possibly alleviate this problem. I have a Monster Power HTS5000 line conditioner that everything (including coaxial cables) are plugged into. Not sure what other information is relevant but I have a Sony WEGA KV-36FV15 and my DVD player is a Toshiba SD-6200. I have the DVD player's video connected directly to my Sony via the component video outs. I use Monster Cable M-series and Z-series interconnects throughout the entire system.
I'll get rid of digital cable if the problem persists, as the quality of my DVD viewing is most important to me.
Any input?
Scott.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
*bump*

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Or have any of you ever experienced this before?

Scott.

Paul D Cook

Auditioning
I had a similar sitiuation a few days ago. I had the bar (top to bottom) in the lower range tv stations and the VCR. I also had all kinds of noise. Snow, wavy picture etc on the local network channels. It turned out to be a cable between the wall and the TV for the bar and a dirty connection between the VCR and the wall jack for the reception. So, my guess is that installing the new cable box caused stuff to move around back there. You should just wait until you move, get rid of any cheap cables and clean your cable contacts and reinstall. That should clear up your problem. It's hard to say exactly what would cause it other than that since everything was fine before. I would disconnect the cable box and see if the problem goes away and troubleshoot from there. Seperate the new cable box connection from the other cables etc. Good luck.
PDC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks