Versions of Salo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Jan 31, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I would like to see this movie, but with prices of $500 for the Criterion edition it's not going to happen anytime soon.

I was wondering if there is another version of the movie out and where to get it.

Thanks

Earle

2. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

There is a UK PAL, Region 2 release from the BFI (British Film Intitute) although mastered by MGM I beleive, I've heard the quality is if anything better than the Criterion, it is equally uncut & available from www.bensonsworld.co.uk for US $22.50 delivered.
    For less than the e-bay cost of the Criterion you can buy a Malata and solve the regional issue's, BUT my advice is save you money because although it's an intelligent well made film, I'll be very suprised if you'll watch it more than once unless watching people continuously eating shit is your thing.

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The British Film Institute released a R2/PAL version in April 2001. I don't have it, but to the best of my knowledge it's in 1.66:1 nonanamorphic widescreen (like the Criterion version) and contains the following special features:

Foreword by Director Pier Paolo Pasolini

Director's Biography

Poster Gallery

Salo Weblink

Interactive Menu

Scene Access

4. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

That's right. I bought the BFI disc in June, knowing I would sell it further because of the bad quality. (The film was very good, though.) Rumor has it that MGM is working on their release of the film which will supposedly have a remastered print. On a side note, I feel they'd be fools if they didn't; any controversy that will surely arise will only increase sales.

5. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    Careful - The region 2 Pulp Fiction thread was shut down due to "No unauthorized release talk is allowed on HTF"...
    How a different region's release being unauthorized is beyond me.
    Just a warning [​IMG]
    -Mike

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

7. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

8. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I've seen the Criterion disc, and from what I've read about the BFI disc, it sounds like it utilises the same master (if not the subtitles). The fact that there's no PAL speedup is an indicator.

9. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info on the movie and where to get it. I wasnt aware that there were so many scat scenes in the movie. I really dont want to watch that over and over again. I just like a movie that really shakes you up.

Earle

10. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

EarleD:
    And shake you up it will (that sounds like a phrase spoken by Yoda).
    I am as open minded as it can be when it comes to movies, but is more the hype with Salo than anything else. Is a waste of time. You probably wont' be watching it more than once, so my advice to you is rent it, and save your money.
    JC