What's new

Veronica Mars Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
GRRRRRRRRRRR!

UPN 13 in Los Angeles is airing baseball play-offs right now instead of Veronica Mars! I was going to ask where I can catch this week's episode but I just saw it flash on the screen that it will air Saturday 10/8 at 9:00 p.m.

Oh well, I guess I can watch Lost live this week instead of on tape.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...based on only 24 episodes aired to date. It remains to be seen if Veronica Mars will fare any better after leaving High School than Buffy did. :)

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Kevin Smith cameo was slightly amusing (TV adding 15 pound to his "Do I look fat?" comment).

I am not liking Veronica's "plain Jane" hairstyle. It's like she's not even trying anymore (hair-wise). I'm hating her being the girlfriend, she just seems too independent to be some high school guy's girlfriend. Loved how Keith tagged Veronica after she and Duncan hooked up. Glad to see Wallace using what he learned from being around Veronica last year. Can't stand the new girl Wallace was going for, though. The Guttenberg subplot will probably take us through the whole season somehow.

What's kinda cool is how Veronica solves small mysteries which lead to bigger ones from episode to episode. Jason Gohring must thank his lucky stars everytime he has a scene hooking with with the stepmom.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It was Mr. Casablancas who sent the limo for Dicky and the Beav last week, right?

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I dunno...

I have tried to like this show after a few eps. Something about last nights ep really rubbed me the wrong way.

First of all, they have the "teenager with older brunette" subplot basically ripped off from "Desperate Housewives" (the stepmom even looks like the lady on "Housewives").

Secondly, the "logic" that Veronica -- a supposedly very bright and intelligent girl -- used to sleep with her new boyfriend was really icky.

I mean, she was basically saying, "The bus driver had some mistress that he was hiding. He was cheating on his wife and kids. Now the hussy he was having an affair with is sad. I am not going to let life pass me by, so I am going to sleep with my boyfriend."

Sorry...just didn't work for me. I get the sense they are trying to "spice up" this show in order to get teens talking...and carve out a ratings niche.

I was seriously considering collecting this show on DVD, but no more.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

Re the hairstyle: she's growing it out, and that's why it looks "plain Jane." I know you're not a girl, or maybe you'd understand it better. :) But this hairstyle is a "halfway" point between short and long and it always looks bad in the middle, especially the bangs. But it will look better when the bangs have grown out. I'm sure she hates it right now also, because it very frustrating to grow out your bangs.

Re the "girlfriend": You're right that she's too independent to be "just" a girlfriend, but she's not. She's still trying hard to recapture some of that "normal" life she had with Duncan before Lilly was killed, but I don't think it's working. Obviously she's never going to have a "normal" life now, and I think it's going to become more obvious to her in the next couple of episodes. Plus, like I said above, she's trying to convince herself she's over Logan and she really loves Duncan, but it's not working very well.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Remember, she called Duncan her "First" love repeatedly. I don't think it was gross at all. She spent the last 2 years pining for him.

If you avoid the show because it "rips-off" another show in any way, you're selling it short.

It doesn't matter if something's been done before, it's how well it is done. Napoleon Dynamite was a wholly original comedy, and I thought it was painful to watch and completely unfunny. Saved! reused ideas and situations that have been used many times before in other films, but did it with style and substance and I thought it was hilarious.

The same can be said for VM. Sure there's a storyline about an older woman sleeping with a teenager... but there's undoubtedly more going on that just that. Not to mention that Desperate Housewives could be considered a rip-off of Dynasty, Dallas, Knot's Landing and every other soap ever made. It was hardly the first show/movie to present a lonely housewife seducing a younger man (which isn't what I believe is happening on Veronica Mars).

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I understand the "wife" with "teenager" thing has been umpteen times before.

I personally just think it is a little "too close" to "Desperate Housewives" in this instance (and the stepmom looks like her counterpart on DH).

I didn't particularly care if she slept with her boyfriend, but I did care with her explanation for "why."

I mean, she took the daughter, of a dead bus driver, to see the woman he'd been having an affair with. Most daughters would haul off and slap the hussy. ;)

Then, Veronica basically says, "Ohhh...this poor woman didn't get to be with the man she loved (even though he was married). I am not going to let the same thing happen to me."

Sorry, that line of reasoning doesn't work for me.

After three or four eps, I just don't think this show is as "cool" as everyone thinks. Just because Joss Whedon gave it his seal of approval doesn't mean that it is all that and a box of chocolates.

The perky star makes the show interesting, but I am not particularly happy with the direction the show is going this season.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I think most of us loved the show before Joss commented on it. You're being short-sighted and naive with your analysis of the show and it's fans.

I don't care if you don't buy it. Don't watch the show if you don't want to, but you don't have to marginalize everyones opinions as Whedon worship.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I realize that not every show is watched by everyone...and that isn't the point.

There is a subplot that is eerily close to the subplot on the #1 ranked show in America. Whether or not it was a mere coincidence, or merely happenstance isn't known.

I am not claiming the love for the show is idle Whedon Worship, but I do know that there are people who love everything that Whedon does and endorses.

I'll give it a few more eps before I cast an ultimate judgment.

Here's the thing...all I read prior to this season was how great the show was. So, I decided to tune in.

I think it is fairly interesting, but watching some teenager having sex with some WILF on the couch in a show that is targeted towards teenagers is somewhat disturbing.

I am not a puritan (and neither are any of you).

If all you had seen of this show was the first 2 eps this season, I think you'd be pretty underwhelmed.

Again...I am sure that it is better than that and I appreciate the feedback I have received.

Thanks everyone.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's supposed to be. Logan is getting into something over his head, and I think that's fairly obvious even if you hadn't seen the previous season.

Besides, we're not supposed to love these characters unconditionally. Well, Wally, and maybe Meg, but everyone else is severely flawed. What makes them entertaining is that we don't necessarily do what we want them to, and what makes them ultimately doing the right thing worth cheering is that they're not above acting selfish a great deal of the time.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

Well, Charisma Carpenter looked like that for several years before Desperate Housewives started.

I think a lot of what makes this show good is the ability to balance quality storylines over the course of many episodes. If I'd just jumped in during the 2nd year I'd probably not appreciate it very much either. Most people who haven't started at the beginning find it difficult to enjoy.

And for the record, I liked it well before Whedon commented as well.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That seems an awful lot like a straw-man argument to me. Once again, no one is saying that you should like the show. It just seems like your complaints are questionable at best (ie, Charisma Carpenter looks like the chick from DH).

And for the record, I've never watched DH...but I doubt I'd criticize DH for copying Veronica Mars (at least not for something as universal as the archetypal romance between a young man and an older woman)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I thank everyone for their patience. I understand the fanship behind certain shows (I have ones that are my faves), so I hope I didn't step on too many toes.

I just know that I wanted very much to "love" this show. I had never watched it before, but had heard many good things about it.

:)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Are we supposed to know who the dead guy with aloha shirt on the beach with "Veronica Mars" on his hand is? If so, who is he?

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
DH = Lame. VM = Awesome!

Seriously though I loved seaon 1 but it took a bit to get it's sea legs. This season has been great from the first moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks