What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this. Veronica’s character has enough complexity to keep this show interesting for a long while. I’m looking forward to seeing how they will balance the high school part of the show with the PI parts of the show. I want to see a good bit of both. The PI story lines started off strong. The high school parts were good but not yet great. They did have quite a bit of set-up to do. I guess I want this to be Karen Sisco meets My So Called Life rather than KS meets 90120. We’ll see how it plays out. Enrico Colantoni was great as the Dad. A dog named “Backup.” Great! Some good music also. I too am disappointed that Hilton will be on the show next week. If it grabs a few viewers, I can tolerate for now.

I’m glad it’s moving to Tues. Mainly because it is a big shift in mood after watching LOST. I needed more time to catch my breath. BTW, are all of UPN’s HD shows in stereo rather than DD? The HD looked very good though. Also, where do I know the motorcycle gang leader from? I’ve seen him in something very recently.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Seems like another teen series so I was suprised it is showing as late as 8pm. Previews don't promise much so I will be skipping this one, too cheesy looking for me.

If the lead character was prettier I might give it a chance. ;)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Cheesy? Like the Bachelor cheesy? Like an Elvis movie cheesy? Baywatch cheesy? The previews I saw didn’t seem to depict cheesiness in any way. Actually watching the entire show definitely did not leave a cheesy impression. It’s your prerogative not to watch, but it’s hard to pass judgment on this one based on the previews. This is a quirky show, but in a good way I think. Watch at least the first half hour, and then you’ll know if this show is for you or not.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
90210 cheesy. I don't watch TV that much anymore so I'll skip this one without giving it a try. TV to me is about sports like hockey, football and Formula One. My GF is sucker for the reality shows but I can't stand them. I still haven't found anything that would replace 3rd Rock From The Sun, Dharma & Greg, All In The Family or The Jeffersons. Rescue Me looks promising as most Leary shows do, wonder how long it will survive.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Sami, Veronica Mars isn't 90210 cheesy. THis show is hipper than any new show on the WB and hipper (and cooler) than many shows they have been airing on the WB. Personally, I think they should leave Veronica Mars on Wednsday and have Kevin Hill on Tuesdays (a show I will not watch- it's chick TV fare).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Agreed. They should have just been straightforward with the title and called it "Kevin McBeal."

Cindy V

Agent
I too thought at first this may be cheesy but after giving a little of her background (how I lost my virginity), I really started to appreciate how well and complex this story was written. It definately made me want to see what had happened in the past. Considering all she has been thru and how her peers treat her, this girl has a very mature and level head on her.

Good mystery and I love the guy who plays her dad, although I was hoping he would be a simiregular on MONK.

Also, who wanted to walk up to their TV and slap that new sherif. He deserves much worse than he got and I hope he was involved in the past story line so he can get his in the end.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
With the words you are choosing I think you are just reinforcing my image of a teenage and early 20's show. Sorry, a teenage girl doing PE work just is cheesy even if the stories are good. The ads they have been running give just that image of the show, horrible. It also doesn't help that the actors aren't even close to the age they are supposed to be, I would imagine this is in her mid 20's if not older.

I guess I'm just getting old when the teenage shows start to feel juvenile. I will spent the next viewing moments with my new Star Wars Trilogy discs... :)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I couldn't watch 90120 and wouldn't watch this if it were like that. Although I do say in my earlier post it could take that track, I don't think it will based on what we saw last night. I do admit that having Paris Hilton on next week is cheesy. Hopefully this is an early ratings grab that won't continue, and hopefully Veronica does something like beat the snot out of Hilton's character! ;)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
According to this, Veronica Mars didn't do so well in the ratings last night:

Maybe the move to Tuesdays will be more successful.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

Well it is a show about teens, but that doesn't automatically make it bad or cheesy. Freaks and Geeks and My So Called Life were great, canceled way too early.

Sami, you've obvioulsy made up your mind on this show without having seen it. That's your call, but I think some of your preconceptions of the show are incorrect.

Anyway, doesn't anyone here know who the motorcycle leader was?

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

According to the IMDB, the actor who plays him is Frank Capra's great-grandson Francis Capra.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
I should have known to check IMDB and now I see where I know him from: American Dreams. Another "teen" show I am looking forward to. :)

I just saw that 1.8 rating. How well does a UPN show need to do to stay on the air?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
The wink was for the watching it if she was prettier, I still wouldn't watch it. That girl, Kristin, just doesn't do it for me. Looks like just an average blondie to me.

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator

I think it'll do better. It's biggest rival will be One Tree Hill (now that's a cheesy teen soap) and Scrubs in the last half.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Well, in that case, you should have plenty of time to get your laundry done, catch up on bills, and write that novel you've been meaning to get around to this winter. :)

Regards,

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Granted NHL is done for a while but I have my means to get SM-liiga, Elitserien etc. where the NHL players are now playing. Also, I never did limit my selection to hockey only, did I? :)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Did anyone else watch tonight's episode?

I thought it was a dissapointment after last week's series premiere. They didn't shed any new light on the Lily Kane murder, instead showing redundant scenes of people hating Veronica and her dad. Enough, we get it, thicken the plot already! And to top things off, Paris Hilton was even more annoying than I expected. I'm not really as excited about continuing to watch the show as I was last week, but I'll give it another chance before I decide to quit or not.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first 40 min, then had to tend to my 15 mth-old. Still enjoyed it...will the MTV airing next Tuesday at 7pm be this episode? Would like to see the last 20min and the fate of Paris.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks